Working under the direct supervision of the Head of Prevention and with the technical support of the Communications and Public Relations Advisor for Asia, the Head of Communication coordinates the delegation’s efforts regarding the ICRC’s reputation management and its acceptance in the Philippines, as well as the efforts to promote awareness of IHL and ensure its respect. S/he ensures that the delegation’s positioning is clearly defined and communicated to all target audiences and acts as the spokesperson for the delegation, if necessary.
S/he coordinates ICRC’s communication activities in the Philippines with those of the Philippine Red Cross and other members of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. S/he is the immediate supervisor of staff in Communication department in Manila and has functional oversight of all staff involved in communication activities in the field. S/he liaises with heads of other departments, to provide due support for aspects of their activities that relate to communication, as well as to ensure coherence and synergies in terms of objectives, publics, messages and tools.
Analysis, planning and management of communication programs
- Defines strategies and general and specific communication objectives, elaborates plans of action for specific programs and target groups;
- Leads in evaluating the impact of current communication programs and platforms, and re-adjust accordingly, identifies new opportunities and challenges;
- Supervises and participates in the executions of projects and programs for target groups according to the set plans and to evolving operational priorities.
- Defines, manages and supervises the financial budget of the communication department.
- Oversees the implementations of the operational communication strategy of the ICRC in the Philippines;
- Oversees productions of the delegation’s operational communication tools, framework and related guidelines;
- Cultivates the ‘communication reflex’ among operational staff transversally and ensures adequate training for the field and support staff to communicate adequately ICRC’s identity and approach.
Public communication / media relations / environment scanning
- Oversees the implementation of the public communication strategy of the ICRC in the Philippines
- Advises the management in matters relating to the media, and oversees media relations
- Supports maintenance and expansion of the network of contacts with national and international media outlets to ensure its strategic anchoring through increased reporting on the ICRC
- A minimum of five years of confirmed experience in strategic communications and in public and/or international affairs
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, journalism or equivalent through experience
- Experience in advising high-level executives on public communication
- Solid experience in media relations, digital and social media
- Proven ability to write thoughtful and impactful communication material
- Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills, including in social media
- Strong understanding of humanitarian issues and trends affecting humanitarian issues
- A background in the humanitarian organization is a strong plus
- Capacity to work autonomously under pressure with tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and capacity to work effectively in a team and together with a range of departments
- Fluency in English and Filipino
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
*Qualified applicants are requested to submit by email to: email@example.com until 27 July 2021*.*
2) Cover letter
*Please clearly indicate in the subject line: SURNAME First name – MAN Head of Communication (Resume & cover letter).*
Duration of Contract: Open-ended
Contract Start Date: Immediate
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is successfully filled.*
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates
*Only short-listed candidates will be notified. A valid NBI clearance must be submitted once shortlisted.*