Head of Grant Unit
Location: UK, Europe or US
Joint Aid Management (JAM) is an African humanitarian relief and development Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) founded in 1984. JAM manages programmes in Angola, Mozambique, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan, Uganda and Sierra Leone with primary areas of focus on Health, Food and Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and Emergency Relief. JAM implements programmes extensively for UN organisations like WFP, FAO and UNICEF. JAM’s vision is to see an Africa that Thrives. Through our Affiliate officers in the US, UK, Germany, Switzerland and Canada we have an ambitious fundraising growth strategy, with particular emphasis on grants.
Purpose of Position:
The Head of the Grants Unit will take overall responsibility for the successful running of the Grants Unit, working with Affiliates, Country Directors and the senior management team to identify grants relevant and appropriate to JAM’s programming and overall theory of change. They will guide, develop and manage the bid development process with the aim of securing funding across JAM Programmes.
- Work with the senior management team to determine funding needs and identify appropriate funding opportunities
- Guide and set out approach and theme of initial input and scope for each opportunity
- Guide the grants team and lead the grants process
- Manage grant writers and other specialists as required
- Construct and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets, and
- Working as part of the wider team in developing new funding campaigns and supporting one
another in achieving individual and team income targets
- Map donors, research and identify government grants, tender opportunities, new grant related donors and other funding opportunities
- Network, connect and develop relationships with potential donors, trustees, and influential
- Develop a pipeline of new prospects and opportunities, prioritise and schedule opportunities
- Manage timeline and deliverables and maintain an awareness of contracts due for tender
and take responsibility for acquiring, tracking and following up on applications
- Identify and work with consortiums
- Lead the due diligence, project negotiations and post award process with donors
- Monitor grant budgets and revenue targets.
- Final review and sign off all grant proposals and LOI’s
- Grant management, donor communication and reporting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The person taking on this role will have significant field experience and an extensive background in working in the grant capitals of the world and a successful track record of securing and implementing substantial grants.
Degree in relevant field
Raising income through applying for Grants
Grant writing, negotiation and management experience
Significant experience in prospect research, supporter relationship management and
stewardship, as well as being proficient in the use of systems to manage, monitor and report
fundraising activity for example Sales Force.org Nonprofit Success Pack
A strong communicator with the ability to translate project and core income needs into
creative and persuasive grant fundraising applications
Working from home you will need to be an exceptional team player with a collaborative
approach and an ability to remain focused in a changeable environment.
Experience and working in different contexts/countries will be preferred
Minimum 5 years of experience in successful grant proposal writing and management of proposal development teams with multi- and bi-lateral donors
How to apply
All candidates should send their applications to : email@example.com The closing date is 6 August 2021**
Disclaimer: Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.