INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Libya and Tunisia
Starting date: 01/01/2022
Contract duration: 12
Reporting to: Regional Director
Supervision of: Senior management team (SMT) members
General context of the project
In the context of the Libya crisis, INTERSOS is providing quality services to respond to child protection and education needs in underserved and vulnerable areas in the west and east part of the Country.
Main focus of the Libya program revolves around an innovative and community responsive approach, where community centres tackle the needs of the identified children and families through an integrated needs-based intervention.
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in Libya and Tunisia, and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Programme Dept.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To represent the organization legally and promote its mandate in the countries of intervention. Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs, partners and other stakeholders and develop strategic partnerships overall
- Security management and analysis
- Define strategic orientations for the development of the mission considering a financial growth; ability to translate strategic macro objectives into concrete actions and embark the team
- Monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new strategy of interventions – including the development of operations in Tunisia;
- Support the definition of the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts;
- Oversees the good functioning of the support services
- Oversees the quality implementation of projects as per internal and external standards and requirements;
- Responsible for the development and promotion of communication and advocacy materials highlighting the beneficiaries needs and the role of the organization in addressing them
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance;
- Ensures the correct flow of operational information within the mission and with the region and headquarters
Required profile and experience
Postgraduate degree (MA or LLM) in International Humanitarian Action, International Relations, or similar relevant field
- At least 3 years of professional experience as Head of Mission, Country Director for International NGO or at least 5 years in roles of increasing level of responsibility
- Solid experience in managing multi-national staff.
- Sounded experience in managing large multi-donors’ programs.
- Proven capacities in liaising with local authorities, donors, and relevant stakeholders and to adapt language and behaviour to the different interlocutors.
- Previous experience in managing complex security environment, and in ensuring quality supervision also in remote.
- Proven experience in strategically plan and negotiate humanitarian access.
- Sound knowledge of international donors in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Previous experience in the Region/area of operation an asset.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Arabic, French and Italian will be considered an asset
- Shows flexibility, availability and adaptability
- Manage conflicts in a constructive way
- Support and advise colleagues and contribute to their development
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Proactive and collaborative approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Contributes to the development of tools and methods that might be useful in the field of work
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams
- Willing to consider Libya as an opportunity for his/her career
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/60ddd2ab45a85e0021da9a5f/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-52-1981– Position**”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.