The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Head of Office (m/f/d) for Uganda and Somalia, based in Kampala, Uganda.
The GRC Office is located in the Uganda Red Cross Headquarters in Kampala and covers both Uganda and Somalia. Two delegates are based in the Western Nile Region (Northern Uganda) and two more delegates are based in Hargeisa, Somaliland, to supervise the project implementation in both countries. The GRC has been working in Somalia and Uganda for several years. Projects are implemented in close cooperation with the local sister societies. Currently the focus is on refugee projects in Uganda and DRR projects in Somaliland, especially on integrated community-based projects aiming to increase the resilience of rural communities. In addition, GRC engages in relief and emergency support in both countries. Moreover capacity building and organisational development of our sister societies play a key role in all projects.
Duration: 12 months (with possible extension), starting 01.08.2021
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Overall responsibility for the projects and the strategic direction of GRC
- Manage the office, including GRC personnel, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources in accordance with GRC procedures and regulations
- Coordination and constant exchange with Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) and Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS)
- Security management
- Providing technical support to SRCS, URCS and the GRC delegates in project implementation and applying an integrated approach aiming at resilience and emergency relief
- Promote the institutional and programme development of the SRCS and URCS through a supportive working relationship
- Ensure good coordination with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners and external partners
- Representation of GRC towards donors, authorities, partners and the media
- Regular reporting to GRC Headquarters in Berlin
- Fundraising and preparation of concept notes and proposals
- Frequent travels to Somaliland and project areas in Uganda (Western Nile Region) as well as regular visits to Nairobi where the SRCS presidential office and several RCRC movement offices are based
- Monitoring of the humanitarian sector and social-political developments in East Africa
- Minimum of five years of experience in a senior management position, including management of an international team, experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
- Profound experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation
- University degree in a relevant subject and minimum of five years of experience in one (or several) of the following sectors: livelihood, food security, WASH, DRR, CCA or emergency relief
- Profound experience with donor funded projects, e.g. Federal Foreign Office of Germany, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), ECHO, DEVCO;
- Profound knowledge of the region and the humanitarian sector
- Proven experience in proposal writing
- Strong networking, representation and diplomatic skills
- Readiness to work in remote areas and frequent travels
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross and Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Valid Driving Licence
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.
How to apply
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-059 with your application.