The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking an experienced Head of Office (m/f/d) responsible for the overall planning, implementation and monitoring of all programmatic and strategic actions of GRC in Iraq. The Head of Office is the responsible line-manager for one delegate and six national staff in Iraq.
The GRC started supporting the Iraq Red Crescent Society (IRCS) in its relief activities in September 2014. Currently, a relief project, financed by the German Federal Foreign Office, is implemented, activities focus on addressing emergency needs of the affected population with multi- purpose cash assistance. Additionally, this project complements the relief activities with community-based integrated program components to strengthen the resilience and DRR capacities with enhanced Capacity Building measures for IRCS. Furthermore, a project financed by the BMZ is planned to focus on livelihoods and strengthening of resilience. This is an unaccompanied position. The overall line manager is the GRC country manager at Berlin HQ.
Starting date: 15.09.2021
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Location: Baghdad, with frequent travels to KRI, Ninewa and other regions
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Lead, manage and motivate a team of experienced international and national staff;
- Safety and security management;
- Financial management, including fixed assets, financial assets and other resources;
- To represent the German Red Cross in Iraq towards IRCS and other partners and stakeholders;
- To maintain a co-operative working relationship with IRCS and provide IRCS with guidance and support in the strategic development process, building and strengthening their capacities, quality assurance, management, reporting and finance;
- To maintain a close cooperation and ensure regular liaison with movement partners and other stakeholders;
- To support implementation and reporting of projects in close coordination with the GRC Project Manager and the national team;
- To further develop and steer GRC’s country strategy for Iraq; to identify and develop new project and partnership opportunities.
Required Competencies & Skills:
- Proven experience in working with partners, including in an advisory and capacity strengthening role;
- Proven experience in the development of country and programme strategies;
- Solid programmatic, financial and organisational planning skills;
- Experience in managing and supporting a diverse team and remote management;
- Proven abilities in decision making and problem solving;
- Previous experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement and in working closely with a RC/RC National Society are strong assets;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in the management of emergency relief and/or development projects. Expertise in Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Management, or Community-based approaches an asset;
- Substantial experience in implementing donor-funded projects such as ECHO, DEVCO, German Federal Foreign Office (FFO), Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ);
- Experience in strategy development processes and organizational development;
- Strategic thinking, hands-on mentality and in depth understanding of the humanitarian system;
- Previous working experience in the MENA region is an asset.
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Experience in working in a difficult and volatile security situation; ability to live and work for long periods under severely restricted conditions within a conflict-affected environment, and ability to handle stressful situations
- Oral and written fluency in English is required. Advanced knowledge of Arabic is an asset;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’;
- Cultural sensitivity, underpinned by substantial working experience outside her/his home country, including in insecure and conflict-affected contexts;
- Ability to work independently, highly results-oriented and as a team member;
- Valid Driving Licence.
How to apply
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 15.08.2021.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-082 with your application.