Médecins Sans Frontières, an international medical humanitarian association founded in 1971, provides medical aid to populations whose lives are threatened: mainly in cases of armed conflict, but also epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters or exclusion from care.
MSF WACA (West and Central Africa) was created in 2019 and aims to bring a change in the dynamics of the MSF movement.
WACA is driven by a significant number of Doctors and humanitarians from Médecins Sans Frontières West and Central Africa who want to be heard, contribute and above all proactively take on the humanitarian mission of the organisation. WACA reflects a humanitarian identity, an aspiration for MSF, a truly inclusive movement of people who share the values of empathy for others. Its strength lies in the other MSF associations and its associative fibre is amplified by concrete operational objectives.
Under responsibility of the Operations Director, the Head of Pharmacy will work with the Regional Supply to set up a Regional Supply / Pharmacy to support all WaCA projects with the objective of:
- Ensure good practices in terms of medical item management in accordance with MSF policies and protocols and national and international laws.
- Manage the monitoring of consumption and preparation of international orders for all online projects
- Rationalization of orders and transport
1.Technical support in the field
• Participate in the definition of the Operational Medico policies of the MSF WaCA missions by providing its expertise in the field of pharmacy and providing support in its implementation policy
• Provide support to mission pharmacists and medical coordinators in the preparation of international and or national orders while respecting the quality standard of medicines
• Provide technical support on the organization of the pharmacy at different levels (coordination, project, consumption unit): organization, size disposal, storage condition (Good distribution and storage practice)
• Support on Good Pharmaceutical Practices (BPP)
• Support to the medical managers of the missions on the analysis of the monthly pharmacy project reports with monitoring of KPIs (Key Performance Indicator) and on the estimation of needs (medical order)
• Help in setting up tools to ensure the rational use of medical products
• Help with the management of specific stocks (psychotropic and narcotics / cold chain / nutritional inputs / pre-positioned stocks)
• Support for the destruction of medical products in the field
• Support for import constraints in some countries.
• Budgeting of medical orders
• Collaborate with the medical teams at missions and at headquarters, participate in meetings and actively contribute to operational discussions.
• Participate in the programming and establishment of new pharmacies in the country
• Provide technical support to the Medical Coordinator on pharmaceutical issues
• In collaboration with the assistant medical director, the supply and the logistician define the composition, organization and management of the pre-positioned stock in the different countries.
• In close collaboration with the Human Resources Manager, participate in the planning, composition and definition of the size of the workforce in the missions and supervise the associated procedures
• Represent MSF to the authorities for all problems relating to the pharmaceutical supply.
• Develop networking with pharmacists in the West and Central Africa region in order to learn about African innovations in the production of drugs and vaccines.
2. Set up this Regional Supply /Pharmacy unit and on-line project inventory management tools
• Implement the component of the management and order management by the Regional Supply
• Emergency stock management
• Qualified Pharmacist
• Experience in managing a pharmacy
• Experience in order management tools
• Previous experience with MSF
• French and/or English
• Computer skills required (Word, Excel, internet) but also appeal to IT and online structuration
• Innovation to simplify the management of medical items
• Teamwork and cooperation
• Staff management and development
Contract: 2 years
Expected start date : asap
How to apply
Please send your application (motivation letter and CV) to :
no later than 26 July 2021 17:00PM (Abidjan Time)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.