Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme for our presence in Myanmar. As Head of Programme you have a country focus and you ensure compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. You contribute to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. You provide support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
About the job
As Head of Programme you manage the Programmes Unit in Yangon and coordinate closely with Area Managers in the Area offices, along with technical staff. You are based in Yangon, with regular travel and field visits. The position, which reports directly to the DRC Country Director, is a key role on the Senior Management team and is expected to act as Country Director during gaps or absences. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation
- Responsible for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors including
- Protection, Economic Recovery, Emergency Cash response, and early recovery.
- Responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas of program.
- Enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation activities across the entire country operation.
- Fundraising activities and donor coordination and management.
- Lead and manage the programme staff (including people planning, performance, well-being and development).
- Supporting Area Managers, Program Managers and Implementing Partners, as needed with technical and project management.
Project management and development
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation. Ensures strategic coherence and vision of the whole country programme, based on active participation in the drafting of the DRC Strategic Programme Document and as part of the Senior Management Team
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
- Deliver inputs to programme strategy and identify opportunities for new projects.
- Monitor humanitarian needs and trends in the operating context in Myanmar.
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals with support from country team
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors
- Implement and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running.
- Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors
- Ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor
- Ensures a strong and consistent DRC technical representation in the Yangon based Humanitarian Architecture (clusters, technical working groups, ad-hoc programmatic groups, etc.)
To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 7 years’ experience within a similar role overseeing a complex emergency and development programme preferably working on displacement issues. At least 5 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors and locations. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
- Experience in managing program operations, including at country senior management level,
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UNHCR and other relevant stakeholders.
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Yangon, non-family duty station
Start date: 1 December
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Hlaing Min, firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English here. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 5 September
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.