Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme (Protection) to contribute to the development of the country strategy, which translates into action plans in the various areas of DRC intervention in Mali.
About the job
As Head of Programme (Protection) you will be part of the Senior Management Team (SMT), and you will report to the Country Director. You will coordinate the development of proposals while ensuring a watch on funding opportunities. You will provide technical supervision of DRC Mali programs with a focus on protection, and will be responsible for building the capacity of staff on DRC policies, taking into account international guidelines, particularly in terms of protection as well.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
People management and internal communication:
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the operational team ((Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding Coordinator, PIM Specialist, eventually the Food Security Coordinator, the Program Support Officer, the Communication Assistant, etc.) ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for both expatriate and national staff on programme cycle management, program implementation, based on assessment of the critical programme improvement needs of the Mali mission
- Work in close cooperation with technical units and support staff in Mali, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in regional office, other regions and HQ
- Supervise strategy development per zone and ensure its coherence with national strategy
Program strategy, proposal development and contract management:
- Develop, disseminate and implement the strategy of the Mali program within the DRC team.
- Ensure adequate sizing of the DRC technical department in Mali and develop sectoral strategic and technical orientations in accordance with Mali’s strategy. Guide technical teams in implementing strategies through collaboration and proactive program development and implementation.
- Supervise and coordinate the development of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong coordination between technical, operational and support teams, including field teams, as well as a close link and consultation with the RO / HQ
- Contribute to the development of a fundraising strategy in accordance with the program strategy.
- Contribute to rapid multisectoral assessments in coordination with the HoO and the MEAL Manager,
Program quality and accountability:
- Oversee and support the continuous improvement of program quality standards, including harmonization between field bases
- Ensure the respect and application of DRC’s values and code of conduct, in particular by setting an example
- Evaluate and improve DRC accountability measures in Mali in accordance with commitments under the Humanitarian Standards
- Contribute to high quality Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) in all projects in coordination with the MEAL department,
- Support and supervise the Program Support Officer in the timely submission of high quality reports to donors.
As a Head of Programme with expertise in Protection, the incumbent is responsible for the following tasks:
- Define protection strategy and priorities and support operational quality and compliance
- Provide technical supervision, both for strategy and for operations, with the HoO, MAs and Project Managers.
In addition to the above, the Head of Programme may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Country Director.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
- Relevant university degree (master or post diploma), in international relations and / or development. political science or similar field
- Min. 3 years of experience in staff management and development
- Min. of 5 years of experience abroad in complex humanitarian and development emergencies, preferably with refugees and / or internally displaced persons
- Past experience in a Protection Coordinator position
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards / frameworks.
- Strong experience in program development and proven fundraising
- Substantial experience in project management in an NGO, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, administrative and financial management, contract management and donor relations.
- Experience in leading programming and strategic planning, implementation, monitoring and learning.
- Proven experience in negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that meet the needs of beneficiaries and civil society by pursuing internationally recognized values of a universal nature in a conflict or post-conflict context, in respect for local culture and traditions
- Ability to manage a multidisciplinary team, heavy workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Team player, excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills.
- Work experience in analyzing and managing protection data
- Experience working with national partners, local / government authorities and United Nations organizations
- Excellent computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent command of French (reading, speaking and writing) and professional command of English
- Previous experience in West Africa and / or Central Africa
- Experience in an NGO committed to human rights
- Experience with donors such as ECHO, BHA, SDC, DFID, etc.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Bamako, with travels across Mali
Start date: as soon as possible
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English or French here. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26 July
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.