This post is opened to only national applicants and advertised nationwide.
To provide strategic leadership across the entire Oxfam country programme and be primarily responsible for high quality programme management and implementation of all Oxfam programmes and projects in Myanmar. S/he must ensure that programmes deliver impact, have clear influencing strategies, and ensure cross-cutting themes of civic space, gender, conflict sensitivity and partnership are embedded into all programmes and projects and there is coherence and coordination between the projects. The position will work closely with local partners, promote localisation, coach and mentor staffs and partners. The position reports to the Country Director and is a member of the Myanmar Leadership Team. For overall programme quality and impact, the HoP will need to work very closely with Programme Strategy and Impact Director, Director of Advocacy & Communication, Director of Operations and the HR Manager.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for the programme team as part of the Country Leadership Team
- Build and strengthen relationships with local organisations and CSOs and work on civil society strengthening.
- Develop and implement strategy to promote localisation by working closely with partners
- Integrate strong analysis (power, political economy, gender, resilience, fragility and conflict) in all programmes
- Managing relationships with partners (national and international NGOs), play a lead role in INGO networking in Myanmar together with OI Country Director
- Coordination and representational work within the wider development and humanitarian community in Myanmar – this requires a high level of engagement in numerous coordination bodies, platforms, committees, workshops and external meetings
- Manage the Programme Managers, including performance management, providing coaching, support, advice and guidance where needed. Lead on recruitment for new programme staff as and when required.
- Ensure programme staffs are efficient, effective and managed in accordance with Oxfam’s Oxfam HR policies, demonstrating high standards of accountability and transparency.
- Ensure high quality project and budget planning and management of all projects and programmes – including regular planning, budgeting and review meetings with project leads / programme units. Monitor budget variances, providing justification for significant variances and budget revisions where necessary.
- Lead all Oxfam programme implementation including regional or global programmes and emergency Humanitarian Response
- Contribute to collective management at top level with collaborative and matrix ways of working, specifically with field offices.
- Support the Country Director on positioning Oxfam’s work, externally and internally, including risk and opportunity management, providing timely trusted advice to the CD.
- Lead the management of Oxfam staff, volunteers and consultants/service providers effectively, using corporate systems and ensuring competencies are equal to the programmes demands
- Contribute to multi-country, consortium, regional and global programme learning, policy development, advocacy, etc
- Make sure that donor reports are of high quality and on time
- Ensure effective cooperation and collaboration between the programme team and other functional units – with relevant Technical Advisors and Programme Quality for programme impact and quality, and with Operations staff for effective compliance and risk management. Quickly identify potential problems / blockages and work with colleagues to remove blockages wherever possible.
- Ensure the effective implementation of cross-cutting themes – conflict sensitivity, gender, safe programming – across all projects and programmes, with common approaches being used where possible and relevant.
- Maximise opportunities for programmatic coherence and synergy. So much as possible, ensure effective coordination between programmes, particularly those operating in the same geographic areas
- Work closely with Programme Strategy and Impact Director to ensure programme learning is reflected in all stages of design and programme development in Myanmar including regional or global programmes
- Collaborate closely with Advocacy and Communications, developing joint influencing plans and strategies, and ensuring efficient information flows.
- Ensure all Oxfam policies in relation to safeguarding, fraud management and security are fully understood and implemented at all times.
- Ensure that partnerships are of high quality and that programme staff are working within the spirit of Oxfam partnership principles.
- Build effective networks and relationships – with both external and internal – Oxfam regional or Global, Oxfam affiliates, partners, donors, other NGOs, government, other stakeholders – and represent the Oxfam in Myanmar programme
- Ensure and lead regular meetings with partners and visit all Oxfam programmes and projects in the field regularly, ensuring that projects are adapting and responding effectively to the context.
- In the event of a new emergency, lead the Emergency Management Response Team.
- Be an active member of the Myanmar Leadership Team, working collaboratively and constructive with fellow senior managers.
- Fill the role of Acting Country Director when required
For more information regarding the position, please have a look at the Job Profile here. https://oxfam.box.com/s/epo99q7vuf0kke2qinaj8c0x0yt5mygr
What we are looking for:
- Strong programme background, and technical skills on partnerships, gender and/or conflict as cross cutting issues for Oxfam in Myanmar
- Strategic vision and ability to provide thought leadership across a complex and varied programme
- Ability to develop highly complex programmes and projects on a wider range of development subjects
- Ability to manage fast pace, high workload in a constantly shifting context
- Ability to create space and collaboration for strategic programming in high pressure environment
- Strong skills in turning ideas into fundable proposals
- Significant knowledge on theory of change, how change happens and non-traditional project management approaches such as adaptive programming and management
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of working in highly complex socio-political environments and with adaptive management. Direct experience of Myanmar is a must.
- Proven range of experience in programme development & management. Direct experience in managing large scale programmes is essential.
- Sensitive and open to both humanitarian and longer-term development approaches.
- Experience of tendering, developing and implementing large scale funding.
- Experience in developing and integrating advocacy strategies into programmes in highly sensitive political environments.
- Proven ability to manage diverse teams, creating a sense of trust, empowerment and professional growth and demonstrable experience on people management skills.
- Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
- Experience of managing a range of different partnerships
- Must demonstrate understanding, commitment and sensitivity to gender issues.
- Must be able to work effectively across functional units and to support colleagues to work effectively across functional units.
- Experience of working in insecure environments and of implementing security policies.
How to apply
To apply for this position please visit the following link: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/14145/description no later than 30 June 2021, 5 PM (Myanmar Time) however applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.