Terms of Reference
Health Advisor -Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
Duty station: Jowhar-Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
Reporting to: Director General Ministry of Health Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Type of assignment: Secondment
Duration: 1 year with a possibility of Extension subject to performance and availability of funds
Hirshabelle State is an autonomous region in south central of Somalia, and it is the last member of Federal state formed, The State was facing a number of humanitarian crisis as the Shabelle River breaks its banks and causes severe flooding that have resulted in deaths and property damage following yearly torrential rains. The state wants to improve its social developments as it faces many challenges due to natural and man-made disasters.
Social Development Sector
Social and human development is key to the well-being of the people of Hirshabelle State and lays the foundation for its future as an economic entity and a nation state. The pillar is made up of four sectors: social protection, health, education and youth, sports and culture. The overall objective of the Social Unit in the President’s office is to promote the well-being and dignity of all the people of Hirshabelle State by progressively accelerating universal access to basic social services.
Progressively to reduce risk, vulnerability, poverty and economic and social exclusion. To increase equitably the utilization of quality basic health and services. Increasing access to basic health services. Maternal and under-five mortality, particularly in rural areas, will decline by 20% within the first three years of statehood. Expanding access to general education Youth sports and culture objective: work to build a national identity which fully respects and promotes ethnic and cultural diversity and youth empowerment.
The objective of the Social Unit is progressively to accelerate universal access to basic social services with the aim of building human capabilities and upholding the dignity of all people of Hirshabelle State. The Social Unit, which consists of the health, education, social protection, sports and culture sectors, will help to advance simultaneously the physical, social, cultural and spiritual development of Hirshabelle society. As such, it will critically contribute to the overall mission of the State.
Duties and Responsibilities, include
· To identify and research issues on behalf of the minister and/or other government agencies and, advice on options and actions.
· To contribute to background analyses and recommendations for the minister and advise on priorities/concerns and challenge assumptions.
· Engage effectively with internal and external experts in relation to the Minister’s portfolio(s) so that the best information is available for discussion, decision making and policy development.
· Answer questions of interpretation that raise significant issues in relation to government policy.
· Provide, as required, input into the government’s Strategic Planning.
· Actively participate in the development of the minister’s work planning.
· Provides advice to minister on internal communications issues and develops communication strategies.
· Promote a culture of high performance and excellence leadership.
· Be a positive role model and act as a positive and inspiring advocate in relation to the completion of work assignments.
· Working with different government entities to ensure collaboration for shared goals.
· Maintain effective relationships with the advisory team; identify and advise of any potential risks as soon as possible.
· Develop and maintain effective liaison and relationships with key stakeholders in ministers’ portfolios.
· Attend meetings with officials, sector organizations, and any other relevant meetings as required.
· Attend and play an active part in the weekly advisors’ meeting.
· Perform any other assigned tasks.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
· Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, International Relations and Political Science and Governance or any other related disciplines.
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in position related with planning and policy, or governance.
· Previous experience working in Social and human development in Hirshabelle state of Somalia.
· Demonstrated experience in social development, policy development, strategic planning, communication and/or high-level public-sector management, and to prepare well written and researched social developments policy documents.
· Experience in drafting reports, briefings and training materials.
· Proven leadership and management skills.
· Ability to build networks and make effective contacts and connections.
· Excellent presentational skills – both verbal and written.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Strong knowledge of computer systems.
· Fluency in English both written and oral (Advanced level) speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds**
· Fluency in Somali is an asset (Native or advanced Level)
· The Social Developments Advisor will direct report to the Director General of Ministry of Health of Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
How to apply
How to apply
Equal Opportunities: We value diversity, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees.
This position is open to Somalis both in-country and the Diaspora. Interested Candidates especially female candidates who meet all the requirements are highly encouraged. Please apply and register by creating full profile with three references in NIS recruitment platform in below link: https://www.nisf-srp.com/
NB: Women candidates are encouraged to apply to these positions.