The Health Information Systems Associate will support strategic information services at MSH in both the M&E and Digital Health practice areas. This is an opportunity to contribute to the evidence base of international public health by helping project teams from a global public health organization gain insight into their data to enhance health impact. The incumbent will also have opportunities to learn and apply new data science techniques to a wide range of health-related data sets.
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) (50%)
- Design and develop new DHIS2 use-cases and customized features for projects (e.g. dashboards, custom forms, apps, etc.).
- Support system interoperability by mapping integration routes with other DHIS2 instances and external systems.
- Support the maintenance and configuration of MSH’s Essential Thematic Indicators.
- Support MSH field projects with configuration and maintenance of project monitoring indicators in DREAM@MSH and specific DHIS2 instances that MSH projects create with our external clients.
M&E routine support (30%)
- Support Strategic Information advisors in routine monitoring and evaluation activities (i.e. reporting, AMELP finalizations, PIRS development, data visualization, analytics, etc)
Analytical support for specific MSH projects (10%)
- Provide support to projects for survey design, testing and statistical analysis
- Provide support in data visualization using a variety of data viz tools (e.g. PowerBI, Google Data Studio, ArcGIS, etc…)
Data Literacy Capacity Building (10%)
- Support the design and implementation of training in DHIS2 and broader data science skills for MSH staff including home and field offices.
- Build upon and update current DHIS2 learning materials produced for staff.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of eLearning courses on topics related to DHIS2 and digital literacy.
Required Education: MA or MPH in a relevant field such as biostatistics, health statistics, public health or information systems required
Two to four years of demonstrated experience with current approaches and tools in information management systems, including the use of data to inform decision-making, data analysis, and other strategic information initiatives.
Directly relevant experience with a focus on monitoring and evaluating of international development programs, and in the use of measurement methods required for monitoring and evaluation of public health programs.
Experience intermediate proficiency in coding/programming of statistical software packages such as R, SAS, SPSS, or Stata for data analysis and modelling.
Experience designing and implementing facility- and population-based surveys.
Experience facilitating in-person or on-line training in data analysis and use.
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation principles and methods.
Knowledge of key dimensions of data science including use of real-world data, data mining, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
Strong English-language writing and presentation skills.
Strong scientific and technical writing skills.
Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
Intermediate to advanced expertise in Excel
Attention to detail
Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
Preferred: expertise in DHIS2 configuration and data analysis.
Demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and managing a variety of activities and stakeholders in a time-sensitive environment.
Ability to work independently to complete complex statistical analysis challenges.
Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.