Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods. with a presence in South Sudan since 1985 and has been responding to the ongoing crisis since 2013; with a focus on responding to needs in health, nutrition, WASH and Food security and livelihood. GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €100 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts, and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
GOAL in South Sudan implements emergency, early recovery, and development focused health programs through a multi-sectoral programs approach in all the sites that includes Warrap and Greater Upper Nile state (GUNS), Abyei Administrative Area (AAA) and Kajo Keji in Central Equatoria state (CES). Currently GOAL is working with State Ministry of health (SMOH) in the three states supporting running of over 65 Health facilities and about 15 nutrition centres specifically in Ulang County of Upper Nile state. In addition, GOAL is involved in the national response to COVID-19 across all its operational areas.
GOAL is looking to recruit and experienced Health &Nutrition Technical Advisor to lead the implementation of GOAL’s Health and Nutrition programmes in Kajo-Keji County, Central equatorial state of South Sudan. He/she will lead all project implementation, developing workplans, budgets, spenddown plans, providing technical support to enable quality and effective program implementation (including supervising activities, capacity building field teams, M&E, reporting), coordinate with key actors, in collaboration with Area Coordinator, Primary health care supervisor, nutrition officer and M&E team set up and monitoring accountability mechanisms, facilitate learning within the project and build on best practices.
Duties and responsibilities
Technical Support to program planning, management & implementation
- Provide technical support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results-based planning (RBM)
- Support primary health care supervisor and nutrition officer to plan and develop health and nutrition work plans.
- Working closely with the Health &nutrition coordinator to ensure regular communication with donors, health &nutrition clusters to share updates on challenges and programme progress.
- Ensure the health project is implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with GOAL, donor, country and international standards e.g., Sphere and CHS, WHO.
- Provide technical support & capacity building to GOAL field health project staff, health workers & government counterparts (CHD), NGO partners, of GOAL strategies, processes and best practices on health and nutrition related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to the health &nutrition coordinator on the quality of health programmes and interventions in the County.
- Lead, direct and manage emergency response mounted by the ministry of health/WHO in cases of disease outbreaks in the County.
Monitoring evaluation & learning
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors, and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Conduct routine field visits to supported health facilities for supportive supervision.
- Participate in health and nutrition focused donor monitoring visits to GOAL program locations.
- Support field M&E team in ensuring that robust monitoring systems are implemented, and reviews are undertaken periodically.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with the County and State health and nutrition sectors, and other health partners through participation incoordination meetings and sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency coordination meetings on health and nutrition programmes to collaborate with inter-agency partners.
Key Performance Objectives
- Develop, revise, and update activity workplans for the health and nutrition team.
- Ensure high level of program quality and achievement of program objectives/results through effective monitoring, implementation, reporting, and learning.
- Represent GOAL by regularly participating at the relevant sector coordination/cluster meetings to raise the profile of the organization.
- In collaborate with MEAL team, design, and implementation of special studies to showcase impact of selected health and nutrition interventions.
Behaviours (Values in practice)
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
- Respect to the local culture, norms, and traditions in the project area (Kajokeji)
- Adherence to GOAL’s security protocols as guided by the security officer.
- Adherence to national &GOAL COVID-19 prevention protocols.
- Adherence to national &local security protocols e.g., Curfew times
- Adherence to GOAL compound living rules and procedures.
- Good understanding and values diversity and maximize diversity to achieve organizational goals.
- Practicing accountability and integrity
- Building collaborative relationship with staff, partners as well as relevant government departments/units
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Medical background (Qualified Medical Doctor, Clinical Officer, Nurse) with at least 3 years’ experience in similar position in INGO project management
- MSc degree in Public Health /Nutrition/health service management or any other relevant/related field.
- Proven management/coordination experience with international organizations/agencies.
- Good knowledge of project cycle management for health projects
- Experience of community nutrition programming (OTP/TSFP/IYCF/MAMI)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural context.
- Experience in liaising with government officials, other NGOs, donors e.g., EU/ECHO, USAID/OFDA, DFID, UN agencies and corporate entities
- Proven training and capacity building skills.
- Willingness to live and work in remote &insecure areas of South Sudan.
- Knowledge and experience of working in South Sudan.
- Very enthusiastic and able to work extra hours to achieve the objectives of the program.
- Fluency written and spoken English, spoken Arabic an added advantage.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
How to apply
To Apply Click Here