Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
Under the direct supervision of the SDC Human Resources Senior Officer and the overall direction of the SDC Human Resources Specialist, the HR Senior Assistant is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, completion, monitoring, and maintaining of transactions and processes covering the array of Human Resources Management service lines in accordance with UNOPS’ HR rules, regulations and policies for optimal employee and talent management. S/he may serve as the first contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on routine and standard processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives and services to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
- Support to policy development and implementation
- Advisory Services
- Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
Support to policy development and implementation
• Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
• Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
• Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices for delivery of HR services.
• Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information.
• As an interlocutor of HR, ensure that new hires’ first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed.
• Advise hiring management and guide personnel on routine elements of UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans.
3. Talent Acquisition and Administration
• Support the completion of recruitment processes including offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information system in line with UNOPS policy.
• Undertakes reference checking, elements of longlisting, and organization of testing and interviews; fee calculation, minutes of general-service recruitments,
• Finalizes selection and other process approvals.
• Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on routine aspects and elements of their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding.
• Research precedents and present recommendations to supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports.
• Maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines.
• Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems.
• Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
• Set up and maintain reference files/records.
• Follow up or process payroll verification.
• Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
• Manage record maintenance; including personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s.
5. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
• Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
• Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
• Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The effective and successful achievement of results by the HR Senior Assistant directly impact on the compliant execution of HR processes in the respective unit and the efficient and effective performance within it. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY*
• Completion of Secondary education is required.
• First University Degree preferably in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable.
• Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and practices highly desirable
• Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, and/or HR-generalist services is required.
• Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
Experience Desirable:(The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
• Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable
• Experience in use of HR information systems, Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
• For this job opening, fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required;
• Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
It is required to be able to perform the functions during New York, USA working hours (9:00am to 5:00pm EDT Monday through Friday
How to apply
To apply follow this link: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=22257#2