Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
- Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to help people build better lives & countries achieve sustainable development.
- Our clients areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management & human resources.
Working with our client:
- Our client offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our clients partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures.
- They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps them better understand & address their partners’ needs & continually strive to improve their gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Background information – Job specific:
- Our client is the operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, our client provides sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of govt’s., donors & UN organizations.
- With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for their partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
- The Zimbabwe projects fall under the purview of our clients KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office) located in Nairobi, Kenya, the KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic & operational risks. The KEMC sub region currently consists of an established operations centre in Nairobi, Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in the east & southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of Infrastructure, procurement & project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe & several island states.
General background of the project / assignment:
- Following the devastation caused to life, livelihoods & property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019 in Zimbabwe, the WB has allocated US$ 72 million & the AFDB has allocated a further US$ 25 million to finance recovery projects. The projects cater to both early & midterm recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture, WASH). Our client has been requested to establish multiple projects in Zimbabwe to assist with the recovery of the selected areas that were most affected by the storm. Our client is to implement a range of infrastructure projects in different sectors going from small scale community infrastructure focusing on labor intensive approach (road, health facilities, schools, irrigation schemes, market, etc.) to larger public infrastructure using private companies for design & construction (roads, bridges, water & sanitation systems, irrigation schemes, electrical MV systems, etc.).
Purpose & scope of assignment:
- The Infrastructure Manager will work directly under the Senior Program Manager’s supervision to effectively manage the delivery of the infrastructure components under the portfolio & the different field operations. S / He will be expected to maintain & strengthen relationships with key govt. counterparts at different levels, as well as relevant UN agencies.
Work life harmonization:
- Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands. They have a progressive policy on work life harmonization & offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to personnel on all contract types.
- For staff positions only, our client reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, candidates must complete a few mandatory courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to our client.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans & procedures of the UN security management system & that of our client.
Summary of functions:
- Infrastructure portfolio planning, delivery & performance.
- Risk management, oversight & QA.
- Partnerships & stakeholder management.
- Knowledge management & innovation.
- Resources & personnel management.
Infrastructure portfolio planning, delivery & performance:
- Take responsibility for infrastructure project portfolio oversight as delegated by the Country Manager & the Senior Program Manager.
- Mentor & assist the team members in planning, execution & delivery of allocated projects, including but not limited to design development, design management, design review, construction management, works supervision, contract management (FIDIC), change control, quality management, health, safety, environment & other infrastructure related areas of expertise, ensuring incorporation of best practice of infrastructure project management processes.
- Work closely with the Program Management Office (PMO) to ensure that project management policies, processes & methods are followed & practiced according to our clients standards, best project management practices are promoted & overall assurance of projects is provided.
- Monitor, supervise the timely & cost-effective implementation of the infrastructure portfolio of projects according to our clients goals & partner expectations, approved budget & full cost recovery.
- Establish & execute the infrastructure portfolio of projects implementation plans in collaboration with the team & partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards, results expected to ensure timely & client oriented services.
Risk management, oversight & QA:
- Identify & anticipate in a timely manner potential risks & issues through infrastructure expertise & knowledge, advise on mitigation measures & ensure implementation thereof, escalate critical issues / risks to the Senior Program Manager & partners so that maximum benefit to partner(s) & other stakeholders is achieved.
- Oversee & advise on the preparation, quality & proper management of infrastructure portfolio of projects documents (including business cases / strategies, projects plans, risk assessments & infrastructure related documentation such as site assessments, design package, contract management & works supervision documentation, as build design, testing & commissioning reports, change orders, completion & handover certificate, etc.).
- Ensure & advise on compliance with all organizational policy especially those in the project management manual & infrastructure related policies.
- Ensure & advise on compliance & delivery of all legal agreements obligations, including quality & timely reporting, timely closure of infrastructure projects, compliance with audit requirements, etc.
- Provide routine oversight, track delivery progress & projects status, evaluate performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule & quality), assist with & analysis of delivery data within the dashboard system.
- Provide technical advice & support to project teams, partners, beneficiaries across the multi country office.
Partnerships & stakeholder management:
- Build & strengthen partnerships in the infrastructure space through active networking, advocacy & effective communication of our clients competencies in infrastructure project service delivery & management.
- Collaborate with the Partnerships Officer to prepare & develop infrastructure related proposals & engagement.
- Establish solid working relationships with partners, clients & key stakeholders.
- Ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions & are in a position to accept handover infrastructure outputs & management products.
- Advise partners & clients on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability & post project requirements such as operations & maintenance).
- Identify & report to the Country Manager potential business opportunities for our client.
Knowledge management & innovation:
- Keep abreast of & incorporate latest / best practices, approaches & technology in the infrastructure space to enhance the infrastructure portfolio delivery & results.
- Provide feedback to practice groups on policy or supporting guidance in the area of expertise to align operations with changing environment with an aim towards continuous improvement of our clients policies.
- Lead the planning, implementation & organization of infrastructure related capacity building of personnel, clients & stakeholders within the infrastructure portfolio of projects.
- Contribute to the oversight of lessons learned procedures, ensuring that case studies, lessons learned & best practices are shared & institutionalised for corporate development planning & knowledge building.
Resources & personnel management:
- Plan & propose to the Senior Program Manager required infrastructure portfolio resources (human & financial).
- Submit revenue & expenditure forecasts for infrastructure portfolio based on our client & Country Office / Multi Country Office financial goals.
- Oversee forecast, budgets, cash flow & obligations to ensure that deliverables are met & payments to contractors & personnel are received on time.
- Manage infrastructure portfolio resources in accordance with our clients standards of ethics, integrity & accountability framework & financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit, manage & develop infrastructure portfolio personnel / technical experts with the skills & competencies needed to ensure optimum performance & encouraging the formation of diverse teams in terms of gender & geography.
- Lead & motivate the infrastructure portfolio team, promote teamwork, collaboration & diversity by providing the infrastructure portfolio team with clear direction, objectives & guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively & efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men, women & ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Ensure safety & security for all infrastructure project personnel & comply with UNDSS standards.
- The Infrastructure Manager will work directly under the Senior Program Manager’s supervision.
- This role requires team management experience.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Master’s degree in engineering or Architecture is required. or a combination of bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Masters Degree.
- Certification in PRINCE2 Foundation is desired
- Knowledge and certification in Project Management (PRINCE2, PMI, etc.) is desired.
- Professional certification from an accredited institution (PEng., CEng. , etc) is an asset.
- Completion of the UNOPS PMM, UNOPS PMM Infra perspective & oneUNOPS Projects training within (3) months from joining is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in multisectoral infrastructure projects is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in construction management is required.
- Demonstrated experience in contract management (FIDIC contracts preferred).
- Demonstrated technical acumen, with the ability to understand, plan & advice on technical project documents is desirable.
- Good knowledge of internationally recognized building codes & standards is desired.
- Experience across all the life cycle of infrastructure projects including but not limited to design, procurement & works supervision is desired.
- Proficiency in MS Project & schedule analysis desired.
- Experience working in middle income countries & / or developing countries & with multicultural teams is an asset.
- Fluency in written & oral English required.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates, perceives the impact, implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. – Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. – Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
Other relevant information:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Dubai time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Candidates applying for this role MUST upload a copy of their latest resume on their profiles.
- Contract duration is open ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds & satisfactory performance.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: