Position title: Key expert
Specific outcome & related output:
- Improved international judicial cooperation
- Improved judicial capacity building
Project component or field: Judicial activities & cross cutting activities (all components)
Target groups: All judicial actors (judges, prosecutors, magistrates…)
Expected results :
- Design, Programming, Planning, Preparation, Technical inputs
- Delivery and reporting of judicial activities
- Reporting (progress reports & final reporting)
- Project supervision for judicial activities
Methodology : The expert will actively support the project team to deliver the activities addressing the judicial aspects
Place: based in Tunis
Dates: From September 2021 to April 2022
Line management : Head of Department P2S – EF Paris
Management position : Yes (1 position to manage : Technical adviser)
Number of positions to fill: 1
NB : Please note that female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to CT MENA activities.
- Design activities
- Propose planning in coordination with EF
- Follow-up and improve engagement from the target groups
- Technical preparation of the activity in liaison with the beneficiary groups, project coordinator and technical adviser
- Coordinate with operations staff to organize the activity logistics
- Propose ShorT Term Experts
- Monitor, Participate & Present technical contents during activity if relevant
- Control quality & review of the STE deliverables
- Activity reporting (see deliverables expected below)
- Supervise and contribute to Progress and Final reports
- Representation of the project for judicial component
- Regular meetings with the project coordinator to assess progress made and future actions
- Participation to steering committees and presentation of judicial related results at this occasion
Deliverables / Source and means of verification:
- Concept notes and terms of reference
- Flash activity report to be directly sent to EU DEVCO
- Mission and Meetings reports
- Activity reports if missing
- Progress reports (inputs for judicial component)
- Final report (inputs for judicial component)
Project or context description
The CT MENA project, funded by the European Union, under the Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace, aims at providing a rule of law response to counter terrorism in the MENA region. The global threat posed by non-state terrorist actors indeed requires our effective and concerted response.
With a budget of 13 050 000 EUR, for a period of implementation going from October 2016 to April 2022, the project geographical scope covers the MENA region: Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Iraq and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
The project is implemented by a consortium of Member States including France, Spain and Italy as key partners.  More recently, two additional partner agencies have joined the consortium for expert mobilization purposes: the Geneva Center for Security Policy (GCSP – Switzerland) and the The International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ – Malta).
The project will be able to mobilize technical assistance as well as limited supplies. The definition of the specific activities will be based on needs and priorities identified with partner countries and coordinated with the Delegations of the EU in those countries.
The project has 3 major components: support to the League of Arab States on counterterrorism-related issues with a view to operationalise the EU-Arab League political dialogue, a demand-driven technical assistance facility on counterterrorism and specific follow up bilateral activities in line with the ongoing counterterrorism political dialogues between the EU and partner countries in the MENA region. The last component aims to develop resilience through testing activities such as exercises and/or regional activities to develop interagency collaboration between beneficiary states and units.
 The Consortium is led by Expertise France, the French International Technical Cooperation Agency of the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Economy and Finances, and gathers the French Ministry of Interior through its International Cooperation Department and its implementing agency Civipol Conseil; the French Justice Ministry; the Italian Ministry of Interior Public Security Department; the Spanish State Secretariat for Security of the Ministry of Interior; the Spanish Justice sector and the Fundación Internacional y para Iberoamérica de Administración y Políticas Públicas.
Qualification and skills
- Deep knowledge of Counter-Terrorism, Organized Crime, Cybercrime etc.;
- Deep knowledge in judicial organization;
- Knowledge of a large network covering the areas of intervention (composed of judicial representatives specialized in CT) ;
- Excellent verbal and written command of both languages English and French;
- Knowledge of Arabic would be an asset;
- Drafting and designing skills;
- Computer proficiency.
General and specific professional experience
- Significant professional experience in the field of Counter-Terrorism;
- Capacity building/technical assistance experience in an international environment, in particular in EU funded projects;
- Excellent knowledge of the MENA zone would be an asset;
The expert will be contracted by Expertise France through a fixed-term contract. Work modalities will be discussed later on with HQ Paris.