Location: Epulu, Okapi Wildlife Reserve (OWR), Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Reports To: Law Enforcement Advisor
Direct Reports: None
Start date: February 2024
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has been active in the Okapi Wildlife Reserve (OWR) for more than 30 years, supporting its creation, and subsequently working closely with ICCN (Institut Congolais pour la Conservation de la Nature) – the government agency responsible for protected areas and wildlife – in its management. In December 2018, WCS and ICCN signed a 10-year management agreement that delegated management authority of the OWR to WCS. This mandate is implemented through the OWR Management Unit (RMU), which is led by the Reserve Director and which is the executive body in charge of all day-to-day management activities, operations and personnel in the OWR.
WCS is seeking a Law Enforcement Trainer (LE Trainer) to strengthen capacity and provide support to the implementation of effective ranger training within OWR. The LE Trainer will advise and support the OWR Director, the Assistant Director and the Head of Law Enforcement on staff skills and development to build a capable Ranger force through a well-developed training programme. A significant part of the LE Trainers’ work will be delivering core and specialist training to the Ranger force as well as developing the integral Ranger Training team. A significant part of the role will be acting as the principal coordinator and instructor alongside any contracted third-party training team and working to transfer skills and courses to the ICCN training staff. The person must be comfortable living and working in a remote and austere conservation area and be able to operate in a challenging political and working environment.
The position is based permanently on-site at the OWR headquarters in Epulu, Ituri Province working as the WCS Law Enforcement Adviser and OWR Director.
Overall, the Law Enforcement Trainer will advise on all aspects related to Law Enforcement training including Basic Ranger training and all specialist skills. He/She will act as an OWR Chief Instructor and will train and mentor the ICCN Senior Trainer as well as develop the ICCN training team. The key will be close coordination with any third-party training team and their delivery and transfer of key course materials. To support the Law Enforcement adviser and to act as his/her deputy with regard to the overall LE support to OWR and the ICCN and as the onsite WCS Security Officer.
1.Advising, guiding and supporting the OWR Reserve Director and the Assistant Director with the development of an effective law enforcement training program for the OWR:
- To develop and implement a law enforcement staff training and mentoring plan that will result in building and developing the skills and competence of all OWR LE staff, particularly the Head of Law Enforcement, section and platoon leaders, through training and mentorship
- To implement and deliver a Systems Approach to Training (SAT)
- To develop and implement LE SOPs alongside the LE Adviser and to train all Rangers in their use and implementation.
- To assist with the identification, recruitment and management of external consultants, as required, in the development and implementation of an effective law enforcement training programme
- To ensure correct conduct of routine operations, including mentoring in the delivery of patrol orders, inspections, and debriefs through thorough training and preparation
- Coordinate and supervise the selection and training of new eco guards
- To assist the LE Adv in developing and training the Rangers Commanders in operational planning and conduct of operations
- To coordinate and deliver specialised courses for selected eco guards
- With the LE Adv to ensure all OWR LE staff are equipped with the appropriate equipment and clothing to perform their job properly through the identification and procurement of all appropriate systems and equipment
- To act as the deputy LE Adviser in all matters of LE
2. Working with the OWR Reserve Director and the Assistant Director to ensure effective and strategic communications and coordination:
- To maintain daily close coordination with the OWR Director, OWR Assistant Director, Head of Law Enforcement, and the Training consultant.
- To help develop and implement strategic and effective communications
- To support coordination and communication with the OWR stakeholders with regard to all LE training matters
- To support planning and coordination with other key state agencies, as directed by the OWR Director.
- To maintain productive internal communications with senior OWR staff, partners and stakeholders
3. Under the supervision of the OWR Reserve Director and Assistant Director, preparing deliverables and proposals
- With the LE Adviser to develop annual, trimestral and monthly training plans, work plans and budgets, regular donor progress reports, and technical reports. S/He will also contribute relevant information on LE needs to fundraising proposals.
- To support the achievement of quarterly and annual field operations and training targets, whilst still responding and adapting to changing situations on the ground
- To assist in all data relevant to the OWR Results Framework are collected and submitted to the OWR M&E Officer in a timely and accurate way
- To identify, monitor and report on risks, according to the risk management plan, including coordination of risk response actions
- To undertake internal staff and program evaluations as required
4. Other responsibilities:
- To operate in accordance with the laws of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statutes of ICCN, the Reserve internal regulations, and the policies and procedures of WCS
- To be available to perform all reasonable tasks assigned as part of the service by the OWR Director and Assistant Director
- To assist greater reserve management, including participation in weekly management meetings, liaison with the operations manager for logistical support
The LE Trainer will have:
- A minimum of 10 years of military experience in the Infantry/Marine and a minimum of 1 tour as an Instructor at an Infantry skills school having held the rank of Senior Non-Commissioned Officer or Captain.
- Jungle and Riverine experience
- Be medically trained
- Hold a full driving licence
- Experience in Africa and conservation Law Enforcement (nice to have)
- Experience with Communications and Operation rooms operating systems
- Computer literate and able to produce reports, training plans, equipment requirements and budget forecasts.
- A commitment to working collegially with all staff, and professionally and diplomatically with all partner organisations – government and non-government in a culturally diverse environment.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining partnerships and individual relationships in a complex political environment
- The willingness to gain an understanding of the institutional and legal framework of conservation in DRC, as well as of relevant policy challenges.
- Proven experience in remote areas of the world, the ability and skills to make the most of any given situation
- A strong working proficiency in French and English and/or KiSwahili
- Previous experience within Africa, and ability to work with and sensitivity to a diverse group of people including those of different cultures, nationalities and backgrounds
- And, in the face of sometimes profound challenges, the LE Trainer will have flexibility, optimism, good humour, passion for excellence, motivation and ambition. In such circumstances, s/he will be able to maintain high morale among his/her colleagues, contractors and staff.
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, should apply through this link by November 30, 2023. Please send a detailed application/cover letter and a detailed CV and Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews
WCS is an equal-opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.