Lebanon has been facing a multi-layered crisis in the past years in which socio-economic downturn was compounded by the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic and the devastating blast in Beirut’s port in August 2020. In addition, more than a decade after the outbreak of the Syria crisis, Lebanon remains at the centre of the world’s largest refugee crisis in recent times. Caritas Austria, through its implementing partners, has provided humanitarian assistance in Lebanon during successive crisis in the past decades. Today, Caritas Austria continues to be actively involved inside Lebanon with a particular focus on emergency response, quality education, and protection programming.
The Lebanon Programme Coordinator will play a key role in monitoring and advancing Caritas Austria’s activities in Lebanon, with a focus on the emergency response and education sectors. Responsibilities include project and proposal development, monitoring and reporting, accompaniment of implementing partners, networking with relevant stakeholders, and representation in coordination mechanisms. All aspects of the position are governed by a strong commitment to humanitarian standards and Caritas Internationalis’ Partnership Principles.
The Lebanon Programme Coordinator is part of Caritas Austria’s Middle East/Asia Programme Unit. She or he reports to the Lebanon Programme Manager (also based in Beirut) and coordinates closely with colleagues in Vienna, Damascus and Amman.
- Maintain and foster excellent relationships with implementing partners and other key stakeholders in Lebanon
- Support the development of projects by conducting needs assessments, stakeholder analyses, and desk research
- Contribute to the drafting of concept notes and project proposals (including log frames and budgets)
- Support implementing partners in complying with project agreements, donor requirements, and Caritas Austria guidelines
- Ensure quality of project monitoring and reporting (narrative and financial)
- Represent Caritas Austria in relevant working coordination mechanisms
- Facilitate the information flow to Caritas Austria’s Communications Department
- Adhere to international standards guiding emergency relief and development work as outlined by Caritas Internationalis, UN organizations, and relevant local and international spheres.
- Be a resident of Lebanon, with the ability to work inside Lebanon
- Academic degree in Development Studies, Political or Social Sciences, International Education, or a related field from an accredited academic institution
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in project design, project cycle management and reporting within an international NGO environment, and with institutional donors (e.g. EU)
- Fluency in Arabic, proficiency in verbal and written English
- Experience in liaising with partners, donors, stakeholders, and authorities
- Self-starter, able to work independently; yet at the same time, a great team player
- Excellent communication and representation skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to work with flexibility in order to meet tight and shifting deadlines
- Ability to travel within Lebanon, when/where possible
- Strong commitment to the principles and mission of Caritas Internationalis
How to apply
Kindly submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Lebanon PC” as subject line. We will start reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
Questions can be addressed to Erik van Ommering, Senior Programme Manager for the Middle East, using the same email address and subject line.
Caritas Austria is committed to equal employment opportunities. We encourage anyone who fulfils the above criteria to apply – irrespective of age, gender, or religious, sexual, or ethnic affiliation. Within Caritas Austria there is no space for exploitation, abuse, discrimination, or corruption. The successful candidate will be required to sign and adhere to Caritas Austria’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.