We are looking for a Litigation and Advocacy Officer who will strengthen our existing legal work, develop new work and offer legal advice to all sections of the organisation and partners regarding the protection of the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples.
Reports to: Head of Law
Salary: Grade C
The job mainly involves:
- Working on existing legal cases, including by drafting legal submissions and liaising with partners, witnesses, experts, local counsel, the parties, courts and human rights bodies.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of advocacy and communications strategies in relation to MRG’s casework.
- Advancing the legal department’s strategic objectives, including by working on implementation of successful judgments and ensuring compliance with protective orders.
- Identifying and preparing potential legal cases being brought to uphold the rights of minorities or indigenous peoples and assisting with conceptualising a strategic human rights litigation plan for MRG.
- Advising staff whose programmes include legal work on strategies, precedents, legal standards and similar.
- Developing MRG’s work in submitting third party interventions and amicus briefs before international, regional and domestic courts.
- Working with international organisations, partner organisations and minority and indigenous communities to build coalitions on issues that impact minority and indigenous peoples.
- Proactively seeking and developing funding opportunities for MRG’s legal casework alongside fundraising staff.
- Providing legal, research and technical support on issues concerning the human rights of minorities and indigenous peoples as called upon by MRG.
- Undertaking such other tasks as MRG may reasonably request, including ensuring factual accuracy of legal references in publications and media output.
- Respecting and working towards full implementation of MRG’s gender and equal opportunities policies in all the work involved in this post.
- Ability and willingness to travel abroad when necessary and if possible.
If you are fluent in English and have experience working on international human rights litigation, please read the job description here.
How to apply
How to apply
The deadline is the end of Sunday 15 August 2021.