United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) supports and facilitates the work of United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), other UN partners, and Governments in some 18 countries and territories affected by explosive-hazards. The UNOPS PSC provides specialized project management services to efficiently support UNMAS in delivering essential work on the ground in emergency, post-conflict and peacekeeping environments with the aim of promoting peace and security, protecting civilians and ensuring long lasting human security.
- Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Logistics and Assets Management Analyst will work under the direct supervision of the Procurement and Logistics Specialist and overall guidance of the Head of Support Services. S/he will undertake the following responsibilities and duties as follows:
• The Logistics and Assets Management Analyst will be required to ensures that the provision of all Asset Management services is achieved within pre-determined budgetary objectives, corporate deadlines, time constraints, and in full compliance with UNOPS Asset Management Policies.
• Implement and maintain sound asset management and inventory control system in accordance with UNOPS Asset Management policy.
• Responsible for asset and inventory management of all the expendable and non-expendable items under each project in order to maintain accurate records for accountability as well as handover of equipment when appropriate.
• Manage the asset database in the UNOPS systems (WASP & oneUNOPS) to ensure all items are correctly recorded against the correct project number and the correct documentation is supported for each item.
• Work closely with UNMAS Sector Heads/Officers to ensure that best practices in stores Managements are adhered to across the organization.
• Receipt and inspection of all delivered assets from contractors, suppliers in conjunction with the Logistics Assistants.
• Prepare Assets/ expendable reports and correspondence as needed.
• Manage inspection of all stores and equipment for correct quantity, quality, damage, completeness, and serviceability.
• Ensure all stored assets are securely kept, protected from elements, well-organized, and properly accounted for.
• Ensures accurate tracking of existing fixed assets, implements, and monitors the periodic physical verification process.
• Provide weekly, monthly, and annual reports are submitted to Support Service office.
• The Logistic and Asset Management Analyst will support the Procurement and Logistics Specialist in managing the section Asset Management Assistants.
• Any other duties assigned by the Procurement and Logistics Specialist or the Head of Support Services.
- Key Competencies
• Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
• Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others.
• Results Orientation
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
• Solution Focused
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
• Effective Communication
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Education/ Experience/ Language Requirements
• A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of two years of relevant experience is required; OR
• High School (Secondary or equivalent) with six years of relevant experience is required.
• Relevant experience is defined as experience in asset management, supply chain management, cargo management or logistics.
• Experience in report writing is required;
• Within relevant experience, a minimum of 2 year of experience working in conflict/post-conflict environment is required
• Computer literacy is required.
• Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing) is required.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to send their updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org