INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
Duty station: Tripoli/Benghazi
Starting date: 01/01/2022
Contract duration: 6 months renewable
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 logistic officer, 2 logistic assistant
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian humanitarian organization on the first line that works all over the world bringing assistance to people in danger victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS, with its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively meet the needs of people in crisis, with a particular attention to the vulnerable groups, as women and children. It provides first aid, food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods. It ensures that basic needs, as education, clean water and health, are met.
In Libya INTERSOS is active since 2018, operating in 3 bases, across West, East and South, with programmes focused on protection and edcuation.
General purpose of the position
Defining and implementing all supply and technical
logistics strategies and support to the mission, ensuring the pertinence and
coherence of logistics and supply programmes, adequacy of the means provided
and the compliance to INTERSOS standard, protocols and procedures in order to
enable the development of the mission in perfect working conditions and
optimise the impact of the projects. The Logistics Coordinator will work
closely with Program and administrative staff to ensure comprehensive
reporting, support and assistance to all INTERSOS activities. The Logistics
Coordinator is responsible for the logistics management of IMP software.
Main responsibilities and tasks
• Participate actively in the definition and update of annual project planning and budgets, defining strategies and providing advice to the Head of Mission (HoM) in the translation of the identified logistics/technical needs into objectives, priorities and resources needed for the mission
• Responsible for monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the mission (construction and rehabilitation, stock and supply of material, fleet management and transport, equipment/installation and infrastructures, Security rules (implementation and enforcement, ICT, assets etc.)
• Ensure compliance of INTERSOS standards, protocols and procedures, across the mission and according to donor requirements including procurement, and reporting to the HoM on the development of the ongoing programmes and proposing reorientation strategies when needed
• Provides monthly reporting to the HoM and Logistics Unit Coordinator (through IMP) and related people on projects/mission evolution from the technical/logistics perspective and propose corrections if needed
• Coordinates the Logistics team and participates to the HR processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
• Responsible for ensuring technical reference and support for all logistics/technical issues in the mission, providing coaching to logistics staff and representing INTERSOS in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs for technical/logistics related issues
• Responsible for ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and guesthouses facilities in an adequate living condition as well as all the equipment required
• Responsible for ensuring the proper purchase use, maintenance and registration of IT assets and office equipment (computers, software, backups, etc.) and communication tools as well as the communication means in the Mission (including numbers, frequencies), allowing permanent communication between capital, projects, bases and HQ. Ensuring all staff in the Mission benefits from proper training on how to use communications equipment available in the Mission (e.g. satellite phones, HF/VHF radios, computers, etc.)
• In collaboration with the HoM, is responsible for co-defining and monitoring the technical aspects of the risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the mission security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, monitoring on a daily basis the security rules observation and reporting to the HoM of any problem. For this purpose, in case of absence of a dedicated Security Focal Point, the Logistics Coordinator will have to create an appropriate environment to facilitate exchange of information on security situation and will be the security back up in the absence of the HoM
• Coordinate with the Admin and Finance Department to ensure that payment processes to suppliers are made on-time and respecting the financial systems
• Plan and perform field audits to ensure consistency in process application and proper documentation and filing are maintained
• Monitoring overall procurement performance for the Mission. Ensure effective and cost efficient procurement planning by liaising with technical staff, Heads of Base and/or Project Managers to ensure that procurement plans are detailed, in place and up to date. Carry out research to ascertain the best products and suppliers in terms of best value, delivery schedules and quality
• Develop and implement service contract management instructions, policies and procedures. Examine and re-evaluate existing service contracts and overseeing regular rent, utilities payments (i.e., electricity, water, gas, etc.), office and guesthouses maintenance contracts and running costs procedures. Ensure that they are properly handled by Logistics Assistants, Administration and/or Focal Points
• Maintain and update an established suppliers list per base, in coordination with logistics staff and Admin/Finance Department
• Is responsible for ensuring the good storage of all projects materials within warehouse/stock, in respect of the INTERSOS Supply SOPs
• Check and coordinate with logistics staff that goods deliveries are done as planned and properly stored
• Ensure that the fleet is checked, regularly maintained and that vehicles are insured and taxes are paid
• Follow-up on proper monitoring of fuel consumption and use of vehicle log-book, maintenance log, oil log and other fleet formats and templates by field logistics staff. Ensure that proper documentation of vehicles (i.e. lease, insurance, mechanical inspection, etc.) is properly handled by logistics staffs
• Initiate regular fixed assets and inventory check on a quarterly basis
• Ensure the production of mission level’s SOPs (if needed) for the Logistics needs
Required profile and experience
- Masters/Postgraduate academic qualification on Logistics and Supply Chain Management or any related disciplines.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in emergency and humanitarian, in field locations as well.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context.
- Computer (excel) and admin/finance skills.
- Donor compliance and reporting.
- Highly able to keep confidentiality.
- Able to work independently.
- People Management
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Fully conversant in English Language is mandatory
- Basic knowledge of French Language is mandatory
- Arabic Language is a plus
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/60fd5e3f74cb96001ebdcd91/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-52-2004– Position**”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.