1. Background and Introduction
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 640 million children and the prevention of more than 9 million future deaths.
1.1 The Global COVAX Facility: Equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.
As part of broader efforts to secure equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines, Gavi has launched the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility. All countries are invited to participate in this Facility, which will pool demand and resources and secure supply of COVID-19 vaccines through entering into advance purchase commitments with manufacturers. Gavi is committed to securing a global response to COVID-19 that is effective and fair, using its unique expertise to help identify and rapidly accelerate development, production, and delivery of COVID-19 vaccines under the principle that no one is safe unless everyone is safe. The Gavi Secretariat is currently coordinating efforts together with global health partners to complete the design of this Facility and begin operationalising, with the goal of securing 2 billion doses by the end of 2021 to vaccinate the highest priority populations globally. Within the COVAX Facility, an innovative financing instrument – the Gavi COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC) launched at the Global Vaccine Summit on 4 June 2020 – is being used to secure access to timely and sufficient supply of COVID-19 vaccines for developing countries specifically.
2. Purpose of the Position
The position shall be responsible for accounts payable for Gavi COVAX payments to countries or partners. The position shall also ensure compliance to Gavi Policies and seeks efficiency improvements.
3. Main Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
· Managing Country Programmes COVAX Accounts Payable (AP) including invoice processing and payment runs.
· Managing the balance sheet monthly reconciliations for AP accounts.
· Collaborating with the office of COVAX facility, as well as the financial accounting and financial reporting teams to ensure accurate analysis, accounting, and reporting of COVAX and other donor transactions.
· Managing Vendor Master data ensuring thorough review and due diligence of bank accounts.
· Providing finance assistance for the Covax facility.
· Ensuring timely follow up on outstanding aged items.
· Reviewing and promptly responding to ad-hoc queries related to AP.
· Ensuring regular communication with all stakeholders.
· Ensuring compliance with all Gavi policies and procedures in the above tasks.
· Assisting the Secretariate in processing core Gavi payments
· Performing any other tasks as requested by the Senior Manager, Financial Services
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
4. Location: Gavi Alliance HQ, Geneva, Switzerland or remote (subject to discussion)
5. Qualifications and Work Experience Required:
The successful candidate will be required to have the following qualifications and work experience:
i. Academic Qualifications
· University Degree in Finance or Accounting.
· CPA, CA, ACCA, or equivalent.
ii. Work Experience
. 8+ years of related financial experience preferably in US GAAP or IFRS environments
. Shows Initiative with the ability to work remotely and independently.
. Excellent communication skills at all levels internally and externally
. Customer, service, and solution oriented.
. Proven track record as a manager ability to coach and develop team members.
. Promotes sharing of information and cross-team work.
. Hands on and detailed as/when necessary.
. Attention to detail and transforming data to insight tailored to the audience.
. Experience of working with SAP and management reporting systems is a plus.
. Operates well under stress, flexible and focuses on delivering results.
. Integrity and principles-based work ethics
. Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relations, both within and outside the organisation
Note: short-listed candidates may be asked to complete a timed test to demonstrate their data management, analysis, and communication skills.
· Written and spoken fluency in English.
· Fluency in French is an asset.
v. Key Contacts
. Primarily all members of the Finance Team and the COVAX Facility Office; potentially other departments and teams within the Gavi Secretariat.
6. Duration of Assignment: Twelve (12) months (with possibility of extension).**
7. Selection Process and expected timelines.
· Interested parties should respond by completing Annex 1 and returning their application before midnight on the Closing Date.
· Gavi will shortlist and invite for written tests and/or interviews (1-2 weeks)
· Contract negotiation and signature (1-2 weeks)
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
How to apply
If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by sending your application to email@example.com with the title 078-2021-GAVI-RFQ – “Manager Accounts Payable, COVAX Consultant ” before the closing date of June 7th, 2021.