Reports to (role)
S/he will work directly under the Head of geodata and analytics’ supervision with additional technical inputs coming from the GIS team in Geneva.
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
Our unit is part of the Direction of Operations. The post holder will be part of this unit and will participate to the maintenance and development of the GIS for the ICRC. Furthermore, s/he will contribute to the mapping production when needed.
The post holder will provide maps, data and information management support to effectively support decision making and reporting of all ICRC departments/sites. S/he will create, update and manage the databases following up on exchange of data and produce maps according to the user’s requests. S/he will play a key role in managing the information flow, standardization and security within and between ICRC department/offices. He/She must ensure that repository of data is done through effective database management.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
In support of the unit, the post holder will:
- Produce maps to support the operational and reporting objectives of the delegation following ICRC GIS Guidelines (internal products);
- Organize and maintain the geo-database of the delegation (filing and storing of data and meta-data);
- Maintain, update (cleaning and entering) data and maps in the web-based ICRC geoportal;
- Analyze and valorize internal and external data sources;
- Take the initiative to reconcile data and information gaps;
- Ensure quality of data and information prior to wider circulation and publication;
- Participate in briefings related to GIS;
- Carry out remotely technical GIS support to ICRC GIS officers;
- Support and train staff to perform general data analysis as requested by the departments;
- Maintain the Mapsearch up-to-date with the most recent maps produced by the GIS officers network;
- Generate dashboards and infographics;
- Contribute to the development of new web application;
- Perform other data and information management-related duties as required.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in a related field;
- Good practice of ESRI software and database management;
- Good knowledge of Tableau software;
- Knowledge of graphic design software;
Professional Experience required
No previous professional experience is required.
- Type of role: Traineeship
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 16.08.2021
- Location: Geneva (due to the Covid situation, may start remotely)
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Relocation: Not provided for traineeships
- Visa/permit: Legitimacy card provided
- Gross monthly salary: 3000 CHF
- Application deadline: 30/06/2020
- Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport – please upload it on your profile
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
How to apply
Apply on ICRC career website https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=17463&company=ICRCPROD