INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Medical Project Manager
Duty station: Buea – South West Region – Cameroun (with frequent field visits in Meme Division).
Starting date: 01/09/2021
Contract duration: 11 months
Reporting to: NWSW Head of Base and INTERSOS Cameroun Head of Mission
Supervision of: 7 national Staff
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The present rise of violence in the Regions of the North West and the South West have affected many, be they victims or witnesses of violence. Many, despite the healing of their wounds are left with deep psychological trauma requiring immediate attention. The widespread insecurity and the attacks led to destruction of basic education and health infrastructure, and the fleeing of education and health personnel, causing a lack of availability of health services to deal with war injuries and psychosocial trauma related to violence, including sexual violence and rape. The lack of health facilities also contributes to the spread of epidemics such as cholera, polio and measles, which are recurrent, and of COVID-19, and particularly affects children and older people. there is a lack of region specific health data related to the south west and Meme region especially in terms of reliable health indicators or health needs/gaps assessment The 2 main objectives of this intervention will be:
- Assess the health and MH context in the Kumba area;
- Reduce suffering and improve mental health and psychosocial well-being of people affected by violence/conflict in Kumba area through the improvement of access to quality mental health and psychosocial services, delivered as close as possible to the beneficiaries.
- The main outcome of the project is to improve access to quality of mental health and psychosocial services is in Kumba and it will be delivered through the following outputs
- Understanding of the health and MH context and Needs/Gaps in Kumba and surrounding areas (Meme division, South West region) via different assessments
- Increased MHPSS response capacity through better identification and support of community based MHPSS activities;
- Delivery of quality Mental health services to beneficiaries in need;
The latter will focus on the delivery of MHPSS in a delocalized manner, to mitigate barriers to accessing centralized services namely: financial barriers related to costs for transport or admission, insecurity, drop-out rate during referrals.
General purpose of the position
The Medical Project Manager will:
- Supervise the implementation and the development of the medical and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) activities in the project through the MH activity manager and the local partner’s PM
- Coach and Supervise the Health staff in charge of the health assessment and provide him/her with the correct tools and support to perform a health assessment/report
- Coordinate the mental health activities with the Local Partner and the MH activity manager
- Ensure quality pharmacy management, through the supervision of a project pharmacist
- Guarantee the relevancy and the quality of the health, mental health/psychosocial activities carried out
- Participate in assessment or emergency interventions in case of needs
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the project, ensuring timely and quality delivery of project’s proposal;
- Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, Consortium lead and donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) the management of the project;
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges;
- Liaising with project Local partners, ensuring regular meetings, structured supervision, feedback mechanisms are in place.
- Liaising with sector appropriate local government and authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at field site level, in coordination with the HoM;
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals;
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the Coordination Office promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules, protection principles and medical ethics;
- Supervise the project material resources put at INTERSOS disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity;
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases, as well as the financial indicators in order ensure quality of medications (in collaboration with logistics), efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites and early detect deviations and its causes;
- Ensure appropriate budget management;
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course;
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Ensure quality and pertinence of mental health/PSS activities in collaboration with the MH activity manager and local partner PM
- Supervises and coaches the health staff in charge of the health assessment/report, liaising with HQ medical unit
- Supervises the pharmacist to ensure the quality of medical stock management/distribution, the appropriateness of orders, etc.
- Share problematic situations and cases with the Health Referent HQ and/or SV MH referent for help with decision making and problem resolution.
- Perform a mapping and its regular update of the existing services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc.
- Maintain and develops network through meetings, cluster and contact with field organizations and relevant actors / track files with the main contact information.
Data collection and analysis of activities
- Monitor and evaluate MHPSS activities in order to have reliable information about activities and adapt them accordingly
- Support the MH activity manager in the correct implementation of patient documentation and data tools with the support of the MH activity manager
- Elaborate the monthly report activity (narrative & statistics)
- Share relevant non confidential data and information with the Country Protection Focal Point/Protection coordinator, for monthly protection reporting purposes or as required by the technical supervisors
Required profile and experience
Univeristy degree in medicine or nursing or other paramedical studies
Medical doctor or nurse with at least 3 years of relevant experience in humanitarian sector with a medical NGOs and in project management of health programs, experience in implementation and supervision of MH project is desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Strategic vision
- Results and quality orientation
- Behavioural flexibility
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
English and French
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/6107c35323f2b6001e498e01/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-48-2009 – Position”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.