Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen is an international, independent medical humanitarian organisation. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. We are a non-profit, self-governed, memberbased organisation. MSF was founded in 1971 in Paris by a group of journalists and doctors. Today, we are a worldwide movement of more than 67,000 people.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. The ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (OCA) is a partnership that is composed of the partners MSF-Canada, MSF-Germany, MSF-SARA, MSF-Sweden, MSF-Holland and MSF-United Kingdom. MSF-OCA operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries with more than 11,000 staff.
The Emergency Support Department (ESD) is part of the Operations Department and plays a fundamental role in responding to medical and humanitarian emergencies: The ESD conducts exploratory and assessment missions; initiates and manages large scale emergency interventions; supports emergency interventions managed by regular desks; provides support to the organisation and existing missions in promoting and guarding emergency response capacity; and supports the management of operations in highly insecure environments. The ESD consists of a headquarter-based Emergency Desk (7 permanent staff) and an Emergency Team for deployment in the field (23 positions).
At Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
The E Desk is accepting open applications at any time for any position. Currently the E Desk is particularly looking for:
MEMBER AMSTERDAM EMERGENCY TEAM
PLACE WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
- Overall: reports to the Head of Emergency Support Department in Amsterdam.
- During field assignments reports to relevant Management Team (MT) member at the capital level, Emergency Coordinator (EmCo) or directly to the Medical Emergency Manager in Amsterdam, dependant on the response set-up
- Liaises with relevant Epi Advisors in OCA for technical guidance
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
To provide epidemiological technical support to emergency responses (in the field 80%) and potential assignment to non-emergency missions for support.
The role will most often consist of providing support within existing missions/projects, to either support in key positions or respond to emergencies within those missions. These responses may be under the management of the MT in country, or under the direct management of the Emergency Desk, depending on the situation.
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
- Minimal 12 months field experience with one of the MSF sections
- Field experience with one of the MSF sections in more than 3 different projects, of which at least one emergency project and one high security setting;
- Basic knowledge of standards in MSF projects, including emergencies and epidemics, rapid assessment, closed and open setting health surveillance, design and implementation of survey methodologies;
- Experience with one or more of the following emergency responses: cholera outbreak, VHF, meningitis or measles outbreak, mass vaccination, nutritional crisis;
- Good knowledge and experience with regards to IT software for processing texts, and standard software within MSF-OCA (Excel, Epi info, Stata, OCA HIS tools);
- Proven organizational skills, diplomatic skills and experience with the representation of MSF;
- Strong people management skills;
- English language skills;
- Proven flexibility and solution-oriented mentality;
- Ability to work independently and be decisive in chaotic circumstances;
- Positive, can-do attitude. Focuses on the win’s and not barriers to success;
- Willingness to travel to any required area, frequently at short notice;
- Able to work in teams and under stressful conditions;
- Qualified Medical Practitioner or Registered Nurse.
- Has worked as a Nurse or Doctor or in a Coordination position in at least one mission.
- Experience working in middle income contexts.
- French, Spanish and/or Arabic language skills.
- A fulltime appointment for 1 year with a potential option to renew;
- Salary is dependent on three main factors: domicile, level of responsibility and experience on the job. Candidate’s domicile determines which MSF section will act as employer;
- 45 days annual leave;
- Completion bonus of 1.5 month of extra salary after completion of every 12 months commitment and
- A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organization.
FURTHER INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information about the vacancy can be requested from
Adeline Degratet +34 935 213 051
How to apply
If you recognize yourself in the profile, please click here https://lde.tbe.taleo.net/lde01/ats/careers/v2/searchResults?org=MSFOCA&cws=53&_ga=2.164207993.713089470.1618210146-757729141.1615822601 to apply directly via our website.
The application deadline is 02 May 2021.