General Position Summary
Monitoring and Evaluation is a key position in Good Shepherd Sri Lanka (GSSL) as it is responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing programmes, and is incorporated into consistently high-quality reports and proposal development.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for developing (in partnership with project staff), coordinating, maintaining and constantly improving the project-wide monitoring and evaluation system. In addition, the position holder is responsible for ensuring that the reports generated by each field office are timely and of a high quality and that the data can be validated. This will be achieved through staff capacity building and necessary training.
· Develop and maintain a system that improves GSSL Mission Development Office’s (MDO) ability to analyse and represent impact to donors, government, colleague agencies, and communities.
· Ensure that GSSL MDO has the following tools: detailed monitoring and evaluation plan with defined indicators, indicator tracking table, research protocol and databases for analysis, interpretation and reporting.
· Build the capacity of team members to develop and maintain a fully functioning monitoring and evaluation system.
· Develop plans to mentor and coach staff members in building their capacity to enable them to develop excellent reports and other documents.
· Lead efforts to establish a monitoring and evaluation unit that will facilitate monitoring and evaluation for all programmes and collaborate closely with the project managers and project staff in developing and establishing of the monitoring and evaluation system, one that serves the needs of the overall of the Yemen portfolio and the field officers.
· Support all GSSL projects with independent monitoring and evaluation efforts to ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation at the programme level.
· Design and maintain a monitoring and evaluation system with utility and programme quality in mind, providing managers and their teams real time information that can steer programme implementation as well as informing donors and strategic programme direction and that helps strategize future programme interventions.
· Preparing and finalisation (in collaboration with other team members) of the interim and annual reports for all grants
· Work with the Provincial Leadership Team/senior management to address shortfalls/issues in monitoring and evaluation that affect programme implementation.
· Take the lead in conducting internal project evaluations.
· Conduct regular project site visits to provide hands-on training to field staff on methodology on capturing and organizing information for accurate documentation and reporting.
· Conduct the need assessment and developing the project elements for the new project arias.
· Assist the project team by providing timely and accurate indicator reporting and baseline/end line reports.
Reports Directly To: MDO Manager
Works Directly With: Project team members across Sri Lanka, finance team, and Asia Pacific MDO members.
Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or equivalent in a field related to community development or relevant field is preferred.
• 5 years’ experience providing coordination or management support to programme implementation.
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders, and to play a leadership role in convening groups.
• Astute skills in relationship building and coordination.
• Extensive experience with monitoring and evaluation, information management, and other learning efforts.
• Excellent writing and communications skills in English is required.
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently to GSSL project sites and field locations, including traveling to insecure environments, is required.
• Fluency in English and Tamil is required. Proficiency in Singhalese is a plus.
• Ability to communicate and manage effectively in a situation that relies primarily on remote management.
• Strict adherence to GSSL policies and procedure.
• Desire and ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally.
• Successful candidate will work independently, take initiative, and spend time in environments with significant restrictions to personal movement and operating risks.
How to apply
All applications must include two references and to be emailed to the GSSL Mission Development Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.