Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The People Management Unit (PMU) is part of the MSF-USA Field Human Resources Department (Field HR), and is responsible for designing and implementing all Ways of Working (WoW) trainings, as well as Mentoring and Coaching programs for OCP (Operational Center of Paris).
The PMU’s programs (WoW training programs and Mentoring and Coaching programs) are designed to contribute to the participants’ professional development and prepare them for advancement into more senior roles while also contributing to the overall operational success of MSF projects.
The PMU Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer collates, analyzes and reports on the activity and outcomes of all WoW programs, as well as OCP’s mentoring and coaching activities. The position is a 6 month, fixed term contract (July – December 2021). In 2021, this role will focus on the following areas of work:
- Determining M&E priorities for all WoW virtual and blended programs, as well as WoW follow up activities and WoW Continuing Professional Development program
- Establishing qualitative and quantitative methods will best suit the PMU’s M&E objectives
- Instituting data management practices to support long-term monitoring and evaluation activities
- Supporting the planning and execution of the evaluation of OCP’s Mentoring program
- Collaborating with other MSF evaluation and learning units to create a community of practice
The People Management Unit’s activities have grown and this position will support the design and development of future activities, and contribute to understanding how field teams implement learning into their workplaces. Flexibility taking on a broad range of tasks and contributing to new projects is key to being part of the People Management Unit.
The PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer’s scope of work is guided by the PMU Director, with day-to-day supervision provided by the WoW Program Manager. The PMU M&E Officer is functionally supported by the WoW Technical Referent and the Mentoring and Coaching (M&C) Program Manager.
As a member of the People Management Unit, the PMU M&E Officer will help establish data collection, data analysis and evaluation practices for all core PMU activities. The overall objectives of the PMU M&E Officer are to:
- Review existing feedback systems, adjusting and adding qualitative and quantitative methods to improve the information collected from PMU program participants and facilitators.
- Collate and analyze program data and surveys for all PMU programs.
- Create, maintain and analyze a dashboard of metrics for the PMU programs
- Identify and engage operational stakeholders to determine how to assess what is being implemented from WoW courses
- Establish a network of functional advisors to support the development of the WoW’s monitoring and evaluation activities
- Lead the evaluation of OCP’s mentoring program
WoW COURSES (50%)
- Review the questions asked in online surveys, determining what additional data and evaluation methods will improve participant feedback
- Collate and analyze participant and facilitation team data and surveys from all WoW programs, following up mission HR teams and facilitation teams to ensure that the data is comprehensively captured after the conclusion of each class.
- Work with Fin/HR Coordinators to identify, consolidate and capture all resources used during WoW in-person trainings.
- Establish data management protocols for requesting and recording participant and course data, photos and recordings
- Develop and follow a monthly and quarterly dashboard to track and analyze WoW program activity and implementation.
- Determine the most appropriate evaluation methods and data management tools for WoW courses
- Works with the PMU Director and WoW Technical Referent to identify and capture what data will support understanding how, what and when WoW graduates apply learning after each class.
- Track and analyze participation and feedback after WoW follow up activities and Continuing Professional Development programs
- Conduct select additional qualitative interviews to deepen understanding of core data.
- With the WoW Program Manager, analyze WoW Facilitation team reports to identify trends and questions for further investigation.
Mentoring program (10%)
Collaborate with the M&C Program Manager to:
- review data and reports extracted from the Mentoring database.
- develop and analyzes a monthly and quarterly dashboard to track mentoring program activity.
- identify the best evaluation methods to track and analyze the professional development of Mentees and Mentors
Reporting and collaboration (40%)
- Identify the strengths and limitations of different evaluation design and methods for L&D events.
- Identify the ethical and cultural issues to ensure that everyone’s participation in M&E activities is based on informed consent and that their contributions remain confidential.
- Support the development of the PMU’s annual plan, identifying quarterly and annual metrics to monitor the progress of core activities
- Work with the PEPI team in OCP’s Training Unit to ensure core data points are aligned and/or consistent with their participant data and learning metrics.
- Establish a network with M&E referents working in other MSF Evaluation Units and Learning and Development departments to support the development of learning metrics and evaluation tools.
- Attend scheduled PMU meetings to share practices with the team, provide feedback, and review the development of the M&E strategy and activities.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and/or seminars to gain information and/or skills to understand the scope and goals of each program.
EXTENT OF PUBLIC CONTACT
PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer has limited, if any public contact. Questions related to the WoW Training courses should be referred to the WoW Program Manager or WoW Technical Referent. Questions related to mentoring and coaching should be referred to the Mentoring and Coaching Program Manager
Within the MSF movement, the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer may interact with all levels of staff, field workers and colleagues primarily within OCP, but training interaction may also include participants from other OCs, Epicentre and/or the MoH.
WORKING CONDITIONS, TRAVEL AND ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer is required to sit (or stand) for long periods. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, and after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required. Some flexibility required as not all MSF offices, missions, team members and collaborators may be available during regular U.S. EST working hours.
The position is a virtual position, and the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work from home or if possible, from an MSF office. As such, their working environment must be conducive to working independently and attending virtual meetings, including access to high-speed internet and allowing for focused and uninterrupted periods of time.
It is not anticipated that the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be required to travel to the field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PMU MONITORING AND EVALUATION OFFICER PROFILE
- minimum 2 years’ experience with an international development or humanitarian agency
- knowledge of evaluation methodologies, preferably as they apply to L&D activities
- previous experience leading or supporting M&E activities
- previous experience planning and implementing complex projects, including reporting on activities
- highly proficient using computers and able to quickly learn how to use the software applications used by the PMU, including Sharepoint, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Mural, Salesforce and others
- able to train others to follow evaluation processes, and assess whether data collection is accurate
- organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable presenting information in multiple ways.
- a strong communicator, at ease working with individuals and groups and able to share technical concepts and information in straightforward language
- able to model MSF’s principles, with some understanding of MSF’s operations and policies
- able to accurately review and proofread work so only minor corrections and oversight are required.
- Able to trouble-shoot technical issues (including software / hardware / internet connectivity), and quickly identify solutions
- Knowledge of statistical best practices and OCP’s learning and development philosophy
- Professional fluency in more than one language (English, French, Arabic, Spanish)
- University degree or technical school certification – preferably in Statistics, Computing or Information Technology (IT) and/or management (HR, Business, Administration, Learning and Development), or another relevant subject
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Please note that no relocation assistance within the United States or Europe will be offered for this position. All candidates must have permission to live and work in the United States or the European Union. It is anticipated that the successful candidate may be required to work from home for the duration of this contract.
Application Deadline: May 23rd, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
How to apply
Please apply at our careers portal link: https://jobs.doctorswithoutborders.org/job/New-York-City-Monitoring-and-…