Monitoring & Evaluation Team Lead, U.S. Dept. of State – Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs
MSI expects an RFTOP to be released by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs, Office of Monetary Affairs’ (STATE/EB/OMA). The purpose of this solicitation is to conduct a performance evaluation that will inform the development of mechanisms to support STATE/EB/OMA’s Fiscal Transparency Innovation Fund (FTIF) program.
Since 2012 the State Department and USAID have provided foreign assistance funding through FTIF to help governments improve budget transparency and support civil society organizations promoting fiscal transparency.STATE/EB/OMS is now seeking information to improve its processes for selecting, monitoring, and measuring technical assistance efforts that are designed and implemented, primarily by U.S. diplomatic missions abroad, to build public and institutional support for strong fiscal transparency regimes. Specifically, STATE wants to assess: To what extent are FTIF technical assistance projects improving foreign governments’ budget transparency?; To what extent are FTIF technical assistance projects targeting the appropriate government deficiencies?; What evidence is there that FTIF technical assistance projects are generating a greater demand for fiscal transparency?; How sustainable are the results of technical assistance projects?; and What are the challenges and lessons learned?
Should STATE select MSI through this RFTOP, the Evaluation Team Lead will oversee a team of five in a rigorous evaluation of FTIF. The selected candidate will be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting data to the client. The team will travel, as required to Ecuador, The Gambia and Zimbabwe, to collect data needed to support the evaluation and will serve as the team’s point of contact for the client’s technical representatives. Should travel not be an option, data will be collected remotely.
- Provide overall technical direction to and oversee the work of the evaluation team, including junior M&E staff, subject matter experts, and data collection staff.
- Manage the design, testing and use of data collection tools.
- Lead evaluation team engagement with the client, STATE/EB/OMS, as well as with implementing partner staff and stakeholders.
- Travel, as required, to participate in data collection and meetings with implementing partner and client stakeholders.
- Draft and revise regular reports to the donor, as well as final evaluation reports.
- Monitor program budget alongside MSI home office staff.
- A master’s degree and seven to ten years of experience, or a PhD and seven years of experience, designing, managing and/or evaluating public financial administration in developing countries, is required.
- Experience leading a program evaluation team is required.
- Ideally the person should have a background in economics or public sector management and administration.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills are required.
- The team lead must have excellent research, writing, analytical, and presentation skills, as well as proven experience with managing evaluation teams.
- Experience implementing and/or evaluating such programming funded by the Dept. of State is preferred.
- Experience authoring donor reports and final evaluation reports, conveying complex evaluation methods to varied stakeholders in an accessible manner, is highly desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the three target countries is required.
- Fluency in English, along with outstanding oral and written communication skills, is required.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with Reasonable Accommodations in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.