Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including Finances.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Hierarchically dependant on the Operational Finance Service – FINOP – (Finance Department) of OCBA, the Operational Cell-based 2 Finances Technician (FINOCO) will be in charge of following up and giving technical support to finance related issues and management within the projects run by his/her corresponding Operational Cell (OC).
He/she will be responsible for applying and promoting the policies and regulations established by the Finance Department of OCBA and for guaranteeing the quality of the programs. He/she will also have to ensure that the MSF humanitarian principles and finance ethics throughout all implementing stages within the projects are respected.
Each OC is made up of a Head of the Operational Cell (RECO), one Deputy Head of Operational Cell (DepReco), one Health Technician (TESACO), one Logistics Technician (TELOCO), one Operational Finances Technician (FINOCO) and one Human Resources Technician (REHUCO). Each OC is responsible for 4-6 countries and approximately 25 projects, to which they relate through their respective General Coordinators and teams.
The aim of the OC is to support the missions when identifying, planning, proposing, implementing and following up the projects ensuring their quality.
The Operational Cell-based Finance Technician will have to:
- Assure the Principles of the Financial Policy of OCBA and its financial operational strategy plan.
- To ensure respect for the Organization’s principles and financial policy guidelines.
- To support the team in the field when defining project proposals together with the other OC members (proposals, which will be finally validated by the Project Committee made up of the heads of the different services and departments).
- To justify the financial strategy of the projects in the Committee.
- Supervises and consolidates the field budgets of as well as the annual planning budget.
- Prepares the financing plan of the projects, together with: the field team, the operational cell and the responsible of the FINOP service.
- Follow up the Projects
- To create the communication channels with the Fincos (Financial Coordinator) in the field and / or the rest of the team within the Financial Department of OCBA, thus ensuring its correct functioning in coordination with the person in charge of the Operational Cell and his team.
- To provide the feedback, within a previously established timeframe, on financial issues to the teams in the field (backed up, if needed, by the rest of the team within the FINOP Service), with the agreement of the corresponding responsible of the Operational Cell (so as to guarantee a coherent message shared with all the members of his/her corresponding OC).
- To provide within the OC Financial Analysis.
- Makes periodical follow-up visits to the countries of his cell.
- Carries out the administrative duties related to his job position.
- Ensure the Quality of the financial standards
- Supervises the budgetary follow-up and forecast (BFUF) of the project and controls its authorized limits.
- Coordinates the corresponding budgetary reviews and the budget forecast.
- Controls the levels of treasury on the field.
- Coordinates the preparation process of proposals and reports to the fund providers, ensuring the defined quality level.
- Carries out the follow-up of financing contracts (implementation levels, reportingschedules….)
- Carries out internal audits of the projects he/she is in charge of (from headquarters “insitu”/in the field).
- Collaborates in the annual accounting close-up.
- Ensure Technical Training
- He/she will be responsible for coaching the Fincos in the field.
- He/she will ensure that the Fincos and Administrators receive technical training and basic methodology by means of PPD, briefings, debriefings, specific sessions, Finco’s weeks, and information sessions.
Education and experience
- Accountant and/or degree in Business Administration or proven experience in financial
- management and accounting field.
- Consolidated experience in accounting, budgetary, control and budget planning.
- Minimum one year work experience in developing countries related to accounting and planning, follow-up and project financial evaluations with MSF field or other NGOs field will be an asset.
- Fluent spoken and written English and French.
- IT skills.**Others**
- Availability to travel frequently and on short notice.
- Flexibility with working hours.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Security Awareness and Management
- Position based in Dakar
- Full-time job
- Permanent position: minimum commitment of 3 years
- The monthly net salary for a single person without children is estimated between 2,382,604 XOF and 2,874,338 XOF depending on the experience (not negotiable). This estimation based on the Senegalese legislation is only indicative and not contractual.
- Secondary benefits based on MSF Senegal reward policy
- Starting date: December 2021
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture.
Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged
to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage
women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity
and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any
kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will,
therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social
del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an
interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.
How to apply
• To apply, please follow the link below and submit your CV and cover letter
• Closing date: September 6th, 2021, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)