To provide risk management specialist support to human rights and environmental defender organisations to review and improve operational security management, with both in-field and remote working requirements (including in high-risk territories).
What We Are Looking For
We are currently expanding our team and are looking for someone that has the capability to further develop our risk management programme curriculum and strategies, as well as support the groups we work with through devising and delivering workshops (both virtual and in-person).
Our model is to work with organisations over a longer period of time rather than a one-off training and candidates should be committed to tailoring their approach around concepts that aim to build capacity at local level within the individuals, communities or organisations we work with in order for support solutions to be sustainable.
We believe a well-rounded and balanced team is made up of diverse people that bring different perspectives and experiences to contribute.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Create or review holistic security risk management frameworks appropriate for organisations, individuals, communities and donors
- Research, context analysis, stakeholder and threat mapping
- Facilitate workshops, both virtual and in-person, to support implementation of mitigation measures
- Build from existing organisational/individual knowledge to devise and deliver security management plans, protocols, and implementation support
- Further develop our risk management curriculum and training modules
- Oversee our external consultants in delivery of risk management programme
- Identifying and capacity-building with local support coordinators and/or pro-actively fostering local support networks
It is essential that candidates have:
- Minimum three years of practical operational experience of risk mitigation in the field
- The ability to adapt risk mitigation strategies to the realities on the ground: we work with many human rights activists who simply don’t have access to the type of resource-support or infrastructure that larger NGO or the humanitarian aid sector have and we need someone who can adapt appropriately to customise for the different types of partners we support
- Cultural and gender awareness and sensitivity, experience working with multicultural partners
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken)
- Ability to work across multiple timezones (from SE Asia to LATAM)
- Ability to travel (when pandemic restrictions are suitable)
The candidate must also have at least one of the following preferred experiences:
- Experience in design and development of training programs, and in the delivery of diverse training methods or activities (e.g. scenario-based simulations, mentoring, on-the-job training) including virtual and in-person
- Human rights or environmental activism experience
- Professional qualifications and certificates in risk management and/or facilitation
- Additional languages
Full-time permanent position available for United Kingdom residents. We work remotely but meet regularly in London.
Remuneration will be commensurate to level of experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates who have the right to work in the United Kingdom should send their CVs with cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Application – Operational Risk Management – United Kingdom – [FIRST NAME]” by 8 September 2021.
The cover letter should be no longer than one page and include a brief explanation of what interests you about this role and why you would be a suitable candidate.
Shortlisted candidates will receive a response by mid-late September 2021 for interviews in September/early October 2021.