Please note: Recruitment will be done on a rolling basis and FYF reserves the right to recruit before the deadline
Who We Are
The Free Yezidi Foundation is one of the leading Yezidi organizations providing humanitarian and human rights support to Yezidi civilians. The Free Yezidi Foundation is a humanitarian, apolitical, women-led non-profit organization formally registered in the Netherlands and the United States and licensed to operate in Iraq.
The Free Yezidi Foundation is designed to assist Yezidis in need. The Foundation was established shortly after ISIS attempted to eradicate the Yezidi people in August 2014. The Free Yezidi Foundation seeks to implement projects to protect and support the most vulnerable members of the Yezidi community.
The Free Yezidi Foundation is virtually headquartered in the Netherlands and the United States, with its operational base in Duhok, Iraq. The Foundation is particularly engaged with services for Yezidi survivors, with a special focus on Yezidi women and children. FYF also works to assist for all Yezidis seeking justice and accountability. FYF also plays an important advocacy role in promoting better and broader humanitarian and human rights support to Yezidis.
Operations in Iraq include a women’s center and a children’s center, a trauma team, a justice team, an enterprise & training center campus, a center to combat gender-based violence and gender discrimination in the community, and a variety of other activities to support Yezidi recovery and growth.
The Foundation currently employs a number of staff members, both national and international, and is now growing rapidly to manage the implementation of a number of projects.
Yezidis have suffered from a very different sort of trauma than Syrian refugees and Iraqi IDPs and refugees in general. It is true that all have experienced devastating losses. But the Yezidi community is recovering from a deliberate attempt by ISIS to exterminate their people specifically because of their religion. This has been recognized as genocide already by the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria, the US State Department and Congress, the European Parliament, the UK Parliament, and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. The decision to target a small minority group for extermination based on identity has created a sense of horror not unlike that found in populations in Rwanda, former Yugoslavia, post-WWII Germany, and so on. FYF is sensitive to the particular nature of the suffering of Yezidi survivors, and all projects and activities have been tailored in this regard. The horrific crisis currently facing Yezidis is one in which an external group perpetrated unspeakable crimes against a religious minority, which is now in need of care and support.
The Operations Manager will work with the finance team and the Executive Director on day to day operations, including strategic planning, human resources management, operational oversight and implementation, program support, administration, and assist in management of field projects. There will be a variety of tasks in this role. A hard-working and creative candidate will find this an exciting job, with continuous interaction with FYF field and HQ colleagues and local and international stakeholders.
We are looking for an individual with a passion for making a difference in the lives of religious minority members recovering from severe persecution, and someone who believes in the importance and value of civil society organizations.
The Operations Manager can be based in Washington, D.C., or can work remotely in the United States or possibly from abroad.
Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform a number of functions.
· To ensure sound operational practices and systems for implementation of projects.
· Maintain teamwork and ensures a productive working environment for staff members.
· Assist with organizational development and communications profile.
· Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization.
Administration and Management
· Work with finance team and Executive Director on daily operational tasks.
· Support FYF on various administrative and management tasks, including human resource management.
· Support FYF Country Team in Iraq with management and administrative backstopping.
· Maintain orderly files, and involve relevant internal stakeholders in communications.
· Contribute to elements of field and HQ human resource policies and codes of conduct, in coordination with senior team members.
· Ensure databases are updated for reporting and knowledge retention, in coordination with field team members.
· Assist with procurement oversight, in coordination with field staff.
Development and Partnerships
· Contribute to developing and adapting the organization’s fundraising strategy, seek and screen new funding opportunities.
· Work with the Executive Director to establish and maintain positive relationships with donors and potential donors.
· Assist leadership in drafting and editing proposals for funding.
· Assist in pursuit of funding opportunities.
· Work with key donor staff members to develop and maintain relationships.
· Contribute to program and finance reporting, ensuring compliance with our policies and procedures and donor regulations.
· Remain updated of quantitative and qualitative program information to be shared with partners, stakeholders and donors (past and current programs).
· Review proposals, MoUs, contracts, donor reports, etc. with special attention to maintaining high quality of external reporting and compliance with donor rules.
Awareness and Public Communications
· Contribute to materials for proposals, meetings, and external communications.
· Understand the FYF program portfolio, associated outputs and outcomes, and assist in communicating the organization’s mission.
· Facilitate communication with field-based staff, organize regular calls, and help streamline coordination between the field to the HQ office.
· Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Qualifications and Competencies
Education, Knowledge and Experience
· A bachelor’s degree in International Development or related field is a distinct advantage. Master’s degree in Humanitarian or Development Studies preferred.
· Three years of relevant experience.
· Excellent English oral and written communication skills, including ability to analyze and present a cogent argument both in writing and orally.
· Experience managing and prioritizing a high workload with a flexible approach to changing environments.
· Interest in displaced persons, religious freedom, anti-trafficking initiatives, sexual violence in conflict, women’s rights & empowerment, genocide and atrocities issues, justice and accountability, trauma, and crisis recovery.
· Proven capabilities in teamwork and collaboration are required, with the ability to work among a diverse team, communicate effectively with individuals, and navigate difficult situations.
· Experience in drafting of proposals for humanitarian and development programs preferred but not required.
· Skills and knowledge in working with humanitarian field program staff preferred but not required.
· Strong computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software.
· Proven diplomatic and public relations skills, and a demonstrated ability to work with cooperating partners preferred, with the ability to publicly represent an organization.
Base of Operations
Washington, DC. or remote
Length of Contract
The contract lasts for 12 months, and is renewable.
· Salary: According to the organization’s salary scale and commensurate with experience.
· Benefits: Generous benefits package and considerable vacation time.
Upon Joining FYF
FYF has non-disclosure and liability waiver clauses in the contract for all employees upon joining the team. All paperwork will be managed between the time the job offer is sent and the candidate begins work.
How to apply
All candidates interested in this position should send their CVs and cover letters of interest to FYF: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.