Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation. Malteser International Americas has been operational in the USA, Latin America & the Caribbean since 2014 and is currently implementing projects in the fields of Health, Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Sustainable Livelihoods, Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaption in Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Mexico and the USA.
Since 2018, Malteser International Americas has expanded its medical aid activities in Colombia as a response to the increasing influx of refugees from crisis-ridden Venezuela.
In order to support our team and national implementing partners in Riohacha, Colombia, Malteser International Americas is looking for an experienced Operations Manager (Finance, Administration and Logistics).
The Operations Manager (Finance, Administration and Logistics) is responsible for the management and coordination of all main program support functions including general administration, finance, human resources, and logistics in Colombia. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles he/she oversees and further develops the financial, logistical, administrative and security set-up and management of our operation, ensuring compliance with Malteser International and donor procedures, standards as well as rules & regulations. The Operations Manager (Finance, Administration and Logistics) shall strengthen the operational capacities and train & build capacity of the national support team to improve efficiency, quality, and compliance. He/She shall monitor national implementing partners´ compliance of Malteser International policies and guidelines regarding Finance, Administration and Logistics, as well in the framework of a Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (BPRM) funded project.**Responsibilities**:
Build and strengthen capacities of the team on the ground of MI and its implementing partners in operations management, in particular in the following areas:
- Ensure that proper financial and accounting systems (Quickbooks) and procedures are operated and maintained at all program locations and are compliant with Malteser International policies and guidelines
- Ensure compliance with the financial and administrative requirements of donors (currently BPRM, German Government, UNHCR)
- Oversee the financial management including timely accounting and provide training and advice to program teams working closely together with line managers, administrators and logisticians
- Train and build capacities of national staff to ensure compliance with MI and donor guidelines
- Review workflows, individual capacities and responsibilities of the support team, as well as internal communication channels and lines and implement measures for strengthening the set-up and improve the interface between the support and the program management teams
- Train the team to analyze levels of expenditures against approved budgets and provide timely advice of likely over- and under-spends to program/project teams and ensure that they understand the implications for the implementation
- Enable staff to take on greater responsibility in the management of finance and administration through close evaluation and on-the-job trainings
- Plan, elaborate and review budgets, amendments, budget controls, forecasts and financial reports for donors, working closely together with the program teams
- Review and improve logistic and supply chain management procedures, as well as asset and stock management, with particular focus on medical stock management
- Review internal controls and audits and ensure that findings and recommendations are addressed
- Oversee human resource management including compliance with national staff policies, procedures and guidelines
- Review safety and security plans and protocols and update/ improve the existing mechanisms and tools
Monitor and strengthen capacities of MI Americas´ implementing partners in operations management:
- Supervision of national implementing partners´ compliance of Malteser International policies and guidelines regarding Finance, Administration and Logistics
- Carry out regular monitoring visits at national partner offices and ensure a proper follow up of findings and recommendations
- At least 2 years post qualification experience in financial, logistics, administrative and safety and security management
- In depth knowledge of financial control systems, accounting, budget planning and financial reporting in humanitarian aid projects, as well as logistics, supply chain and stock management
- Experience in administrative standards and requirements of donors (USAID/BPRM, UNHCR, and/or German government)
- Experience in project cycle management, office organisation and HR
- Good training/capacity building and management skills
- Strong initiative and leadership skills
- Good organisational skills, flexibility, diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office, accounting software), ability to implement new software packages in field locations
- Excellent written and spoken Spanish and English, French is an asset
- Start Date: September 2021
- Duty Station: Riohacha, Colombia
- Duration of contract: 12 months with perspective of extension
- Salary according to qualification and experience, health insurance support, 20 paid leave days per year
Malteser International Americas
1011 First Avenue
NY 10022, USA
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at our job portal.
Please submit your application (CV, meaningful letter of motivation and 3 references) online until 01.08.2021 at https://bit.ly/3er8QDV.
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession, or origin.