Reports to: Legal Director
About the Consultancy:
The Podcast Co-Host will be the face and voice of SJAC’s Arabic-language video-podcast on the application of universal jurisdiction on human rights crimes committed in Syria. The host will be responsible for recording the podcasts, as well as contributing to the content and format of each episode. While SJAC will support background research and topic suggestions, the host will also be responsible for conducting research in order to knowledgeably discuss each episode’s topic. Topics include, but are not limited to, current universal jurisdiction cases in Europe, rights of victims and witnesses, terrorism vs atrocity crimes, and documentation’s role in prosecutions. The biweekly podcast will run for 12 episodes over six months, tentatively starting Fall 2021. Each podcast will also be filmed. There will be one other podcast host and occasional guests. Fluency in Arabic is essential (knowledge of Syrian dialects is preferred).
· Co-Host bi-weekly video-podcasts;
· Contribute to topic-generation and scriptwriting;
· Conduct background research and follow ongoing universal jurisdiction trials to knowledgeably discuss and analyze concepts;
· Work with co-host to invite expert guests;
· Perform other tasks related to podcast production, as needed.
· Monthly timesheets;
· Biweekly podcasts.
· Fluency in Arabic (spoken and written) and conversational English are required;
· Knowledge of Syria and the Syrian conflict (including Syrian Arabic dialects);
· Experience hosting a podcast and script-writing;
· Knowledge of human rights law, universal jurisdiction, and/or European law;
· Demonstrated commitment/training in gender-sensitivity;
· Strong work ethic and commitment to accuracy and impartiality;
· Ability to function professionally and effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter to email@example.com. In the cover letter please describe your interest in the position, relevant background, and availability. Please submit a sample of your podcast work. Women are encouraged to apply. Applicants are encouraged to submit all materials before July 30, 2021, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be offered a consultancy contract for up to eight work days per month for a six-month contract at a competitive daily rate.
Position is dependent on funding.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.