Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The role of the Policy Officer is to support the coordination and preparation of guidance, positions, strategic protection and solutions policies, and advocacy on protection and solutions matters in the region, building on comprehensive responses outlined in the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR). The incumbent may be based in the Division/ Field/Regional Bureau. S/he will normally report to and be guided by a Senior Policy Officer and may supervise a small team of local staff.
The Policy Officer will provide advice and assist in drafting UNHCR positions on assigned protection and solutions issues and areas, coordinating closely within the office, as well as with other HQs Services, Regional Bureaux, field offices and operations.
The incumbent is expected to have regular contact with staff throughout the office, Bureau and operations on thematic and situational issues. S/he is responsible for staying abreast of protection and solutions developments under a number of thematic and situational issues that are relevant for the region, supporting strengthened and coordinated responses of the Bureau in the provision of related advice and implementation of external advocacy.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide inputs to draft guidance on protection and solutions advice, strategic protection and solutions policies, and advocacy on protection matters. Reflect major global developments influencing UNHCR’s work, such as the Global Compact on Refugees and UNHCR’s support to applying comprehensive responses included therein.
- Contribute towards the preparation of UNHCR strategies, positions and public papers on assigned thematic and geographical areas, situations or issues.
- Gather, analyse and disseminate information on protection and solutions, political, legal, social and economic developments, including the application of comprehensive responses, which have a bearing on UNHCR’s protection activities in the area to promote the adoption of protection policies and activities.
- Organize and prepare studies on key protection and solutions policy issues to inform management decision making; conduct follow-up work, including inter-agency technical review meetings to support policy development and decision-making on important issues, including UNHCR’s contribution to reinforce comprehensive responses at national and regional levels.
- Assist in the preparations for high level events, including regional meetings, ExCom, Standing Committee, NGO Consultations, Protection Dialogues and others, by contributing to the preparation, drafting, and editing of various protection and solutions positions and policy papers.
- Draft inputs for oral and written briefings and background notes, talking points, reports and other documents as required.
- Coordinate appeals and reporting on UNHCR activities in the area of responsibility, and ensure quality control for important publications.
- Coordinate and harmonize cross-cutting policy issues and documents.
- In the regional bureaux, respond to queries and requests for assistance and guidance from the field, and follow-up where needed, in close coordination with other concerned focal points of the Bureau.
- Maintain a wide range of external contacts with Permanent Missions, donors, and civil society organization.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education
Public Policy; Public Administration; Law;International Relations;Political Science;Human Rights; or other relevant field.
Relevant Job Experience
Mandatory: Experience in policy analysis and development in international context. Demonstrated experience in drafting and editing, in particular on protection and solutions strategies, advocacy strategies, or partnership building.
Desirable: Experience in coordination of UN interventions with other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context. Strong experience in conducting research, fact sheets, global appeals, speeches and concept papers.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply on the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers – by clicking on the Vacancies tab and entering job ID 28884.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date is Tuesday 24 August 2021 (mid-night Geneva time).