RINCIPAL ANALYST – KNOWLEDGE HUB
About us – what do we do?
The Refugee Hub works at the intersection of research, policy, and programming to champion and design protection solutions for refugees. Our global team specializes in cross-sectoral work, providing high-quality and tailored support to governments, civil society, and private sector leaders in support of an improved refugee protection system. We foster innovative new pathways, programs, and partnerships that leverage the welcoming capacity within our communities. Our unique Knowledge Hub, based at the University of Ottawa, ensures that our policy and programmatic work is fully informed by world-class research and knowledge generation. In addition to a wide range of direct support to key stakeholders, our current flagship partnerships include:
- The Global Refugee Sponsorship Initiative (GRSI)
- The Third Country Solutions Identification and Referral Network
- Resettlement Plus
About the role – What will you do?
We are seeking a Principal Analyst to lead our University of Ottawa based Knowledge Hub which seeks to advance world-class research and knowledge generation on a range of refugee protection and migration topics. This work is critical to servicing our global team of world-leading experts, building the evidence base underlying the Refugee Hub’s policy and programmatic work on refugee sponsorship, resettlement and complementary pathways. The Principal Analyst will play a central role in guiding strategy and implementation of the Refugee Hub’s research activities, contributing to scholarship, policy research, network building and knowledge mobilisation.
- Lead an interdisciplinary research team based at the University of Ottawa and consisting of law students, graduate students (Master’s and PhD) and postdoctoral fellows, contributing to expert academic and/or policy focused publications, and legal and policy research. This includes recruitment of students; substantive guidance and supervision; workplan management; project management; quality assurance; and administrative management (contracting, budgeting etc.)
- Substantive research and knowledge creation and translation with a focus on refugee sponsorship, resettlement and complementary pathways, supporting and/or leading Refugee Hub involvement in research projects and writing and supporting a range of products including academic papers, policy briefs, technical reports, blogs, outcome documents and briefing notes.
- Provide project management and coordination for the “Knowledge Hub”, a cross-functional project that facilitates knowledge acquisition, dissemination and management in support of the Refugee Hub’s policy and programmatic work. This includes developing and maintaining relevant substantive expertise in team; managing external consultants; overseeing ongoing/evergreen knowledge products; and cross-functional coordination with colleagues in relevant teams and programme areas.
- As a key aspect of our Knowledge Hub work, the successful candidate will provide strategic direction and content management of Resettlement Plus, an online knowledge hub for sharing information about resettlement and other third country avenues to protection. This includes content generation and management, partner liaison and engagement with research and practitioner partners on content contribution and creation.
- Support academic writing and teaching activities at the University of Ottawa, including contributing to the development and implementation of academic courses, covering activities such as supporting the development of course content, liaison with university staff and faculty, and supervising teaching assistants.
- Building and sustaining partnerships, developing relationships and collaboration with researchers and practitioners (international and national), organizing and representing the Refugee Hub at conferences, events and meetings, and helping to build the Refugee Hub’s reputation as an expert and trusted partner.
About you – Who are we looking for?
- A graduate degree (PhD preferred) in the social sciences, humanities, or law.
- Expertise and/or publication record in relevant areas, including refugee studies, migration studies, refugee resettlement, community sponsorship, newcomer integration, human rights, international law, policy studies, political science, international development.
- Outstanding written communication and knowledge transfer skills in English.
- Outstanding project management skills: experience in designing and managing impact-driven research projects throughout project lifecycles (both academic and other funding streams); research skills: experience designing, managing, and leading high-quality qualitative research projects in a post-secondary research context.
- Demonstrated team leadership and management capabilities including experience managing staff and in mentoring, teaching or supervising students.
The following skills and experience will be considered assets:
- Scholarship on relevant topics
- Project management experience and/or qualifications
- Experience with grant writing and reporting, including academic and government grant processes.
This is a remote work position based in Ottawa and working with the Refugee Hub’s global team. Applicants contacted for evaluation will be asked to provide proof that they have the legal right to work in Canada. Maintaining such a legal right to work is a condition of employment.
- One-year term contract with possibility to renew.
How to apply
How to apply
Please apply through BambooHR https://refugeehub.bamboohr.com/jobs/ The deadline for submitting applications is Sunday, June 11 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Your application should include the following:
- A cover letter;
- A complete curriculum vitae; and
- Two writing samples (academic or professional; must be sole-authored)