Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. Since 2008, KIND has accepted over 23,000 referrals of children seeking legal representation in their immigration proceedings. KIND has welcomed more than 41,000 attendees to trainings since its founding, cultivating partnerships with over 670 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
KIND seeks a Program Assistant to accept case referrals, conduct comprehensive intakes and outreach to child clients, manage data entry, prepare a comprehensive set of case documentation, and to be responsible for the overall administrative duties of the office, including database management.
- Liaise with colleagues at other nonprofits, as well as individual members of the public, to receive on-line or telephonic referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND’s case acceptance criteria.
- Schedule and manage all logistics to ensure that an intake interview is timely scheduled.
- Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with each individual child.
- Prepare a case summary and comprehensive memorandum for each intake, and assemble a set of case documents for use by the KIND Staff and Pro Bono Attorneys.
- Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court dates as well as assist and notify children who are still waiting for placement with counsel.
- Assist with office administration and operations, case management, and data entry.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- *Fluency in Spanish required.
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- Experience conducting intakes.
- Experience with office organization and management, particularly in legal settings.
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers.
- Experience in data management.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience or familiarity with immigration and/or family law and immigration authorities.
Salary Range: $38,148-$47,736 dependent on experience
How to apply
Please be advised that an employment application will need to be submitted along with your resume and cover letter, in order to be considered for the desired role.
KIND has an organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a work environment where everyone has a sense of belonging. Individuals from historically underrepresented or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please apply directly on our site with this link: https://supportkind.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=1626174&cust_sort1=100304&&jbsrc=1025