ALTSEAN-Burma Program Intern
Deadline for applications: 27 August
Start date: ASAP
ALTSEAN-Burma (the Alternative ASEAN Network on Burma), a Bangkok-based human rights group, works with a broad range of people from Southeast Asia and beyond, to promote the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma. Our advocacy, training programs, and strategic interventions to expand and sustain movements are even more critical after the military coup began on 1 February. We are looking for a multi-skilled person to join our Admin/Management team as a Program Intern for twelve (12) months (or more), carrying out the duties listed below while maintaining a sense of humor. Candidates who have experience volunteering or working in the Burma movement or other human rights movements will be at an advantage. This position will likely transition into a full-time paid position based on job performance.
Under the guidance of the Coordinator, and with support of other team members, the Program Intern will be primarily responsible for the following tasks:
Management and Accountability
- Participate in decision-making and organizational coordination as a member of the administration and management team;
- Represent ALTSEAN at external meetings, conferences and events as required;
- Serve as the point person for engagements with ALTSEAN Board Members;
- Schedule and facilitate 2 Board meetings per year and regular Staff meetings;
- Contribute to the design and development of annual organizational strategy plans and monitoring tools;
- Assist in the identification of initiatives for staff development;
- Ensure compliance with (and aid in the review of) ALTSEAN-Burma’s policies and procedures consistent with the Staff Manual, Child Protection Policy and by-laws, and other accountability mechanisms.
- Manage databases and monitor relevant grants and consultancy opportunities, and write/submit proposals in consultation with relevant teams;
- Ensure quality and timely submission of proposals, annual budgets, midterm and annual reports, coordinating with other team members where necessary;
- Track, identify, and address financial or activity issues in grant implementation and lead on negotiating potential grant adjustments with donors;
- Coordinate with external stakeholders, including consultants, partner organizations and activists within the Burma Movement, to ensure timely submission and reporting of joint proposals/grants;
- Manage preparation of additional reports for other donors as required;
Research and Communications
- Support research team staff with supplementary research and input into ALTSEAN publications as required;
- Assist the communications officer in coordination and maintenance of ALTSEAN’s external communications.
- Other duties and responsibilities if required by the Coordinator due to changing external and/or internal circumstances.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
· Duration of 12 months (with possibility of extension and/or fulltime employment, subject to work performance, team dynamics and funding).
· Minimum of 40 working hours per week, excluding public holidays.
· 12 days annual leave per 12 months or pro-rata equivalent.
· A monthly allowance of 11,000 Thai baht is allocated for this position.
· Partially subsidized accommodation will be provided during the probation period.
· Following the successful applicant’s completion of a three-month probation period, they will receive a title upgrade to “Program Officer” as well as an additional 13,000 Thai baht per month visa allowance if located in Thailand.
· This position is based in Bangkok. If the successful applicant is required to relocate to Bangkok from overseas, a subsidy of up to 33,000 Thai baht will be available to reimburse costs associated with COVID tests, travel insurance and quarantine.
· ALTSEAN-Burma is maintaining a bubble at its office, and provides masks and sanitizers to staff. Staff are expected to refrain from external activities until the situation stabilizes.
· Field activities have been suspended until further notice.
How to apply
Interested individuals should apply by email at email@example.com quoting the reference code INT/PRO in the subject line. The application must include:
1) A duly filled Application Form available at http://altsean.org/jobs.html
2) A complete résumé / CV. Applications submitted in any other format will not be considered.
Short-listed candidates may be required to submit written responses to scenarios provided by ALTSEAN-Burma prior to the interview. Due to the urgency of this position ALTSEAN reserves the right to shortlist and interview applicants before the closing date.