OXFAM IRAQ Program
· Closing date: 15thAugust – Midnight
· Interview date: TBC
· Vacancy Reference: INT7696 – Programme Manager – Iraq
Oxfam’s programme has been established in 2014 in response to the ISIS conflict in Iraq. Oxfam implemented activities during the past few years was built around the delivery of 3 main areas: A) Lifesaving humanitarian assistance b) Recovery assistance, and C) Promotion of Women Rights.
· Lifesaving humanitarian assistance: to newly displaced populations residing in camps or host communities. The bulk of this work was done around the Mosul Operation with activities implemented in the governorates of Erbil, Salah Al Din, Anbar, Diyala and Ninewa. Activities included: Establishment/rehabilitation of safe water (boreholes, repair of infrastructure); Emergency water supply (distribution of water through trucking and bottled water); Setting up water tanks and networks in camps; Distribution of hygiene items; construction of latrines; Multi-purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), Cash for Work opportunities inside the camps to allow construction work and solid waste management; and Distribution of emergency winterisation kits.
· Recovery assistance: to returnees, local host communities and IDPs to recover from the post-conflict and to cope with protracted displacement. The main activities implemented under these areas of work include: Rehabilitation of water infrastructure; Supporting local authorities to rehabilitate essential public services (schools and hospitals); Grants to returnees to recover damaged businesses; Provision of livestock to support farmers; Cash for Work opportunities contributing to income for vulnerable families and supporting rehabilitation of infrastructure of public interest (irrigation canals, main roads).
· Promotion of Women Rights: through contributing to the implementation of the National Plan for 1325 UN Resolution, and economic empowerment of women through provision of training and grants to establish/rehabilitate businesses.
In order to serve these three objectives, Oxfam work aimed to integrate the following key sectors together for every intervention in a given location:
· Water Sanitation and Hygiene
· Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods
· Non-food-Items and Shelter
· Protection of lives and rights of civilians
· Gender Justice
· Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
· Advocacy and Media work
The Program Manager will provide technical and managerial leadership to projects and teams in the implementation area. She/he will establish relationships with relevant stakeholders, especially with the government line departments, provide technical and managerial support throughout the project cycle, including in budgetary planning and monitoring, lead the project managers in preparing and developing high-quality program plans, including Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) and procurement plans, prepare program updates and donor reports, and enhance internal and external learning and Oxfam’s visibility.
· Provide strategic leadership in the development, planning and implementation of the projects in areas of assignment.
· Define intervention priorities and strategies in line with Oxfam’s Country Strategy.
· Regular monitoring of the context dynamics and adapt the intervention and implementation modalities accordingly.
· Enable and support team members to conduct assessments and take part in proposals development to expand Oxfam’s programming in the implementation area.
· Take overall program management leadership and ensure team implement project activities within approved plans, budget, and quality standards.
· Lead the preparation for the inception workshop for the project and facilitate the session with support from the funding team, ensuring key learning from previous grants are shared.
· Facilitate programme review meetings and ensure documentation of findings and recommendations.
· Monitor risks and develop contingency plans to respond to emergencies.
· Ensure that cross-cutting issues like gender, safeguarding, DRR are integrated in programme designs and implementation plans.
· Ensure that implementation of program activities is in line with the best practice standards of Oxfam GB and other humanitarian and development standards.
· Create a conducive working environment for the staff to carry out their daily activities.
· Recruit and manage staff in line with Oxfam policies, including performance management, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
· Support project managers and senior project officers to design, implement, monitor and report on Oxfam programming.
· Coaching and mentoring of staff to support the development of their capacity.
· Support the uptake and ensure staff accountability on Oxfam code of conduct, Oxfam values and Oxfam feminist principles.
Coordination & Representation
· Engage partners, including Women Rights Organisations, in project design and implementation.
· Represent Oxfam to local and national government, donors, UN agencies as appropriate, maintaining Oxfam’s credibility & image.
· Coordinate and maintain close working relationships where relevant with government departments in overall implementation of project activities. This will include regular meetings with line departments to agree on work plans, technical assessments, developing technical designs, etc.
· Work closely with Oxfam technical team to ensure projects are implemented in line with the Oxfam quality standards.
· Review and validate donors’ reports in collaboration with project managers, technical advisors, funding coordinator and support teams. Ensure narrative reporting and financial accounting meet Oxfam and donor’s requirements;
· Review and ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that activities costs are kept within budgets.
· Review and approve monthly situation reports (financial and narrative) to update management on program progress achieved, program plans, changes in direction and challenges encountered.
Location:To be defined
Internal Grade: C1
Contract type: Global, Fixed Term – 12 months, contract renewable
This role reports to: Head of Program
Staff reporting to this post : Field based Program and Support Team
Annual budget for the post:
· Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
· A minimum Masters/postgraduate university degree in business management, sustainable
development, economics, development studies, peace and conflict studies or related field;
· Minimum 6 to 8 years’ experience in humanitarian & development program, i.e. leading design, implementation and management of similar post-conflict recovery and stabilization projects and activities;
· Proven experience in applying results-based management;
· Technical experience in leading employment intensive programs, skill development program, cultural restoration and community infrastructure/urban beautification projects;
· 3-5 years of experience in development and humanitarian sector, preferably in a senior role in conflict environments, or displacement and refugee crisis. Experience in MSMEs support programs, private sector engagement, vocational training, job placement work;
· Demonstrable understanding of the gender dynamics of protection work, and ability to capture this in the analysis and design of protection activities, with a strong emphasis on the gendered aspects of conflict, violence and abuse
· Strong ability to be flexible and adaptable in times of unexpected challenges and provide creative solutions, whilst maintaining the ethos and objectives of the work at all times;
· Evidence of program cycle management experience, including strategic planning, budgeting, reporting, monitoring & evaluation;
· Experience in leading on technical assessments, labor market assessment, value chain analysis, multi-sectoral needs assessments and the development/implementation of creative and innovative grassroots projects;
· Strong ability to work with diverse groups/individuals –ranging from local partners, local authorities, local community groups, the humanitarian community and the private sector;
· Proven ability in staff management, donor contracting & budget management;
· Proven experience managing and working with a diverse team, to achieve results in a timely
· Experience operating in Iraq with knowledge of unique local context
· Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an desirable.
· Experience in building the capacity of the team internally and of external stakeholders;
· Experience in working and jointly implementing projects involving local authorities and/or organizations as implementing partners.
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills;
- Good interpersonal, influencing and communication skills;
- Proven team leadership and ability to work independently as required;
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
How to apply
Kindly note that, the selection process will be on rolling basis. Due to the urgency of the position, Oxfam has reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
For more details about this job, please visit the job advert using below link:
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply