The organization is based in Toronto, Canada with work from home arrangements. Once travel is permissible, the successful candidate will need to regularly travel to War Child Canada’s countries of operation. The successful candidate will also need to travel regularly to Toronto for staff meetings, if based outside the GTA.
Reports to the Director, International Programs
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity, and justice. War Child Canada has over 15 years of experience working in communities in conflict and post-conflict zones. All work is implemented in direct partnership with local communities, local NGOs and other stakeholders using a child-centered approach. War Child Canada works in Afghanistan, Iraq, Uganda, DRC, Sudan, and South Sudan.
The Program Manager is responsible for providing oversight in program implementation, including assisting in reporting, in all countries of operation as well as proposal development and overseeing start-up in new countries of operation. The Program Manager ensures both quality programming and program impact are achieved according to contractual requirements and best practices, including contributing to the fulfillment of all reporting requirements.
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT (60%)
· Provides support as needed to the timely and accurate submission of high quality donor narrative reports in liaison with the International Programs Team at HQ and relevant field staff with support from the Senior Manager Programs and Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation.
· Monitors and ensures deliverables are met according to project contractual requirements and agreements using results-based management.
· Contributes to the implementation of Country Strategic Plans and organizational strategy, monitoring progression and performance.
· Assists with the management of contracts, agreements and relationships with institutional donors, as required.
· Responsible for managing new countries of operation from initial research through securing stable funding inclusive of registration, start-up logistics, initial funding proposals, etc.
FUND DEVELOPMENT (30%)
· Actively investigates new funding sources to support the implementation of Country Strategic Plans.
· Assists in the development of funding opportunities for new countries of operation.
· Contributes to the writing and editing of high quality funding applications for institutional donors and foundations
LEARNING AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT (10%)
· Facilitates shared knowledge and learning between country programs and other departments within War Child Canada head office.
· Support War Child Canada staff and partners in improving learning and knowledge sharing mechanisms
· Promote a culture of learning in the organization
- Master’s degree in international development or related field or equivalent experience.
· Minimum five years project management experience of complex emergency or early recovery programs, preferably conflict settings or insecure environments.
· Proven and demonstrable experience in successful proposal writing with multiple donors including GAC, USAID, EC, and others.
· Experience of capacity building in a complex international development environment.
· Experience in budget development, management and oversight.
· Experience of USAID funded projects and contracts (desirable)
Skills and Knowledge:
· Excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize, work under pressure and manage multiple time-sensitive priorities.
· Excellent writing and proof reading skills.
· Demonstrable ability to analyze challenges and propose workable solutions.
· Strong managerial and team building skills
· Technical skills in child-centered programming and/or one of War Child Canada’s programming sectors.
· Computer proficiency including strong Excel skills.
· Excellent spoken and written English. Arabic or French is an asset.
A highly competitive compensation package will be provided, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Program Manager – [insert your name]’
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. We regret we cannot entertain phone calls. War Child Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Safeguarding Policy and Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks.
War Child Canada is committed to providing an accessible workplace. For individuals with disabilities, accommodation is available upon request. Should you require accommodation at any stage of the selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Candidates should be legally entitled to work in Canada. War Child Canada will not provide relocation support.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca