About International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies.
We center the rights of marginalized people in the work we do and strongly encourage Black, Indigenous and other people of color; racial, ethnic and religious minorities; women; persons with disabilities; youth; people from working class backgrounds; and LGBTQ people to apply.
IFES seeks a Program Manager to support our growing Pacific Islands portfolio of USG and DFAT supported programs. Program Managers is the first level management position at IFES providing management support to the program division. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative and financial management support including briefings, covering when senior management is on travel and mentoring staff.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for design, implementation, evaluation, quality control, course corrections and overall management of project portfolio.
- Participate in development of division’s strategic plan. Seek out business development opportunities for the division and manage development process, including proposal writing.
- Lead discussion with Monitoring and Evaluation team to design and determine indicators, monitor to ensure programs are meeting indicators and share experience with regional teams.
- Monitor and evaluate project progress and performance including reviewing deliverables and make recommendations where project activities may need to be adjusted based on M&E results.
- Provide guidance in design, implementation, evaluation, and overall management of project(s) including adherence to approved annual work plans and effectiveness of program activities.
- Provide technical input for assigned projects in conjunction with technical specialists and program teams.
- Provide substantive contribution to knowledge management and thought leadership.
- Alert division management of programmatic concerns, challenges and difficulties.
- Ensure contractual compliance for department managed projects, including quality and timeliness of project deliverables.
- Establish, maintain, and develop relationship with peers, subordinates, funder community and consultants at large for the purpose of business development and information dissemination.
- Direct staff in the timely drafting of reports and other materials and conduct final review of all projects technical and narrative reports.
- Oversee budgets preparation in collaboration with C&G and approve field project expenses as appropriate.
- Oversee financial oversight of projects in collaboration and partnership with Finance Team.
- Oversee recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of domestic, field staff and consultants as needed, in consultation with Human Resources.
- Monitor pending grant/contract actions and coordinate timely action and response.
- Oversee timely procurement actions in consultation with Contracts and Grants.
- Travel to field office to oversee/monitor project activities; meet and strengthen donor and other key stakeholder relationships.
- Lead and/or contribute to written technical reports, briefing papers, and IFES thought pieces, both program-specific and non-program specific
- Serve as team manager. Provide professional developmental opportunities for junior Program staff. Evaluate performance of Senior/Program Officers and Program Coordinators and Associates. Incorporate feedback from DC staff into evaluation of Country Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in relevant field; Master’s degree in international relations, political science, international development preferred.
Experience: At least 8 years’ relevant experience in international development or related field. Experience with budget management and oversight of single or multiple projects. Experience with managing teams.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experienced with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required. Experience in proposal development required, with experience in program management and supervisory roles. Thorough familiarity with USAID and other international donor regulations and reporting requirements preferred. Detail-oriented and organized. Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing. Collaborative, team oriented individual.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required.
TRAVEL: Travel up to 15% of time.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”