Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence – We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people.
Freedom – We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive.
Respect – We believe in trust, empathy, and empowering people.
Teamwork – We believe in diversity, inclusion, and the power of global collaboration.
Transparency – We believe in open communication and clear decision-making.
Accountability – We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field.
- Three to five years’ professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working directly with political parties, civil society organizations/NGOs or legislative bodies, or equivalent combination.
- Working knowledge of the politics, economics, history and culture of Northeast Asia; Mongolia a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with US Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, implementation and basic accounting necessary to draft and oversee a budget.
- Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Ability to travel to new and challenging environments.
- Ability to speak Mongolia or other regional language a plus.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in Mongolia to provide regional and country analysis and information.
- Anticipates potential project problems, troubleshoots, offers solutions, and actively takes part to lead resolution.
- Oversees implementation of specific grant(s) and associated grant activities.
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Understands assigned grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
- Supports efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budget estimates and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations.
- Oversees updates to budget tracker and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned.
- Leads efforts to evaluate and uses information related to the approved grant work plan.
- Writes, edits, and/or reviews quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders.
- Contributes to the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.
- Assists with assessing new funding opportunities and serve as proposal manager (as assigned) for new bid opportunities.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops strong working relationships with relevant stakeholders in DC and abroad.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
- Represents IRI at external events.
- Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation; if an immediate need arises deploys on short- to long-term service in a program in the field to maintain continuity of the program.
- Supervises program associates and is involved in hiring and evaluation process. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
How to apply
Submit resume and cover letter to: Program Officer – Mongolia | Job Opportunities (ultipro.com)