Issued on 28 June 2021
Programme Development Specialist
Duty station of assignment:
Home based, with one travel to Pristina, Kosovo expected contingent on COVID-19 related restrictions
Individual Contract (Consultancy Assignment)
Duration of assignment:
20 working days over the period from 12 July 2021 to 30 September 2021
Closing date for applications (Deadline Extended):
11 July 2021
UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning and municipal administration since 1999. Building on the results and tools generated by the Municipal Spatial Planning Support Programme (implemented from 2005 to 2016), UN-Habitat is implementing the Inclusive Development Programme (2016-21), which aims to provide a strategic, comprehensive package of support to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance, with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo. The Programme is financed by the Swedish International Development Agency and jointly implemented with PAX and Community Building Mitrovica (CBM). It covers 7 municipalities in the northern Kosovo region: Leposavic/Leposaviq, Mitrovica South, Mitrovica North, Skenderaj/Srbica, Vushtrri/Vucitrn, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan/Zvecan.
To support the implementation of these projects, UN-Habitat is seeking a Programme Development Specialist, who will fulfil the following duties and responsibilities under the overall guidance of UN-Habitat Head of Office and Chief Technical Advisor (CTA).
Purpose of the post
The general purpose of the post is to draft the Phase 2 project document of the Inclusive Development Programme in close collaboration with the Head of Office and other team members of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office as well as selected implementing partners.
Main tasks of the post
Under the overall supervision of the CTA, the Programme Development Specialist will be responsible for producing the phase 2 project document as per the following outline of the tasks and related outputs
(working days) and tentative datesDELIVERABLES AND SCHEDULES**
Task 1. Familiarize him/herself with the current project context of the Inclusive Development Programme
Note: The programme team will assist and supply available documents
July 2021 (2 working days at home office)
Task 2. Briefings from CTA and project team;
July 2021 (2 working day at home office)
Task 3. Draft, incorporate inputs, feedback and finalize the full Phase 2 project document for the Inclusive Development Programme, including the following areas of elaboration:
• Programme Theory of Change;
• Problem and situation analysis;
• Stakeholder analysis and capacity analysis;
• Lessons learned (linking to Phase 1 evaluation report findings);
• Logical framework;
• Cross-cutting strategies (human rights, gender equality, environmental impact, etc)
• Governance and coordination arrangements;
• Project replication and scaling up;
• Risk management;
• Monitoring plan and reporting strategy;
• Evaluation plan;
• Annal Workplan;
• Any other required aspects.
July – September 2021 (16 working day at home office)
Finalized project document for the phase 2 of the Inclusive Development ProgrammeSupporting incorporation of client and implementing feedback on the programme design, including through in person meetings in Pristina, as well as reviews from relevant UN-Habitat and donor review bodies. Three rounds of official feedback are expected from both UN-Habitat and donor review bodies prior to finalization and approval of the document.
UN-Habitat Kosovo will be responsible for:
· Providing all required documentation and briefings to the Consultant
· Facilitating access to key informants
· Providing logistical support for the assessment exercise and the workshops with partners
· Providing comments to the draft to be addressed in the final versions
The Consultant will be responsible for:
· Conducting and delivering activities and outputs as outlined above
· Demonstrating professional and ethical standards in conducting the tasks
· Performing the tasks in line with the allocated time-frame
· Informing pogramme management about progress of the assignment
· Delivering high quality products
All the activities will be conducted in cooperation with the programme team and partner institutions.
Timeframe and missions
The assignment is expected to be 20 working days. It should start on 19July 2021 and finish not later than 30 September 2021. The work shall be home based with one travel to Pristina, Kosovo, expected to convene meetings with implementing partners and UN-Habitat Kosovo team members dependent on COVID-19 travel restrictions. Travel expenses to Kosovo will be covered by UN-Habitat.
Progress Controls and Payment Installments
The fees will be paid in installments upon completion and acceptance of the outputs as specified in section Deliverables and Schedule above. Payments shall be done on a deliverable basis based, upon verification of completion of deliverables.
Payment terms: First draft of project document according to UN-Habitat templates and guidelines with all annexesFirst payment: 40%Finalized project document, incorporating final feedback received and all annexesSecond payment: 60%
Work plan and products
Professionalism: Ability to address a range of issues in the context of urban development, public attitudes and local conditions. Ability to conceptualize, design and implement information materials. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to produce a variety of written products in a clear, concise style. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to plan, coordinate and monitor own work. Ability to work under pressure and uses time efficiently. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by valuing others ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others. Conflict management and consensus facilitation skills.
Creativity: Strong conceptual thinking. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches, takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”, and offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Can easily develop clear plans in contexts with limited information and datasets. Finds ways to extract and combine data and information to create base maps.
Qualifications and requirements
NOTE: The quality and extent of the person’s qualifications, skills and experience in the requirements below will determine the grade/level to which a successful applicant will be appointed
Education and experience
- Advanced degree in urban development, spatial planning, economics, conflict studies, political science, public administration or a related social science field required;
- Experience of programme design, monitoring and evaluation in post-conflict urban environments preferred;
- Experience in UN-Habitat programme design and implementation in field contexts is preferred;
- Knowledge of donor priorities and trends with respect to UN-Habitat preferred;
- At least 20 years of relevant professional experience in the field of programme design in the area of sustainable urban development required.
- English is the working language of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office; professional-level command of English is required (reading, writing and speaking)
- Strong writing and drafting skills;
- Significant experience in programme design, monitoring and evaluation techniques;
- Experience in post-conflict analysis, citizen participation and municipal engagement in developing urban environments;
- Pro-active attitude towards work and motivation to take on new challenges;
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher);
The candidate should be:
- Willing to take responsibility, act professionally at all times, and make sure tasks are fully completed
- Able to work under pressure in diverse environments with minimum supervision
- Sensitive to gender issues and issues of concern to vulnerable groups
- Able to meet deadlines for reporting and all project work
- Express enthusiasm and willingness to continue learning new skills and share experiences with other members of the team
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit an email quoting the post title and the duty station to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at**:**http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/p11_form.docThe CV shall include information on the past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
- Financial Proposal. The offeror’s letter including form for the financial proposal can be downloaded at:http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Financial_proposal_IC.docx
Deadline for applications: 11th July 2021
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com