About the role: This is a replacement, 2 year, accompanied position based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel and significant time (50%) spent in Mogadishu, Hargeisa and Baidoa. The salary grade of this position is 5 (€47,694 – €52,993)
Reporting to the Country Director, you will line manage 9 direct reports: Deputy Programme Director – Programme Quality (DPD-PQ), Somaliland Coordinator, five Programme Coordinators (Resilience, Durable Solutions, Health & Nutrition, Emergency, Construction), Education Programme Manager and Education Technical Advisor.
You will also work closely with: Systems Director, Country Financial Controller (CFC), Cash Consortium Director, Logistics & Transport Manager, Partnership Advisor, HQ Technical Advisors and Desk Officer, Consortium Management Unit and Steering Committee counterparts, Donor focal points, Local partner NGOs’ Management.
Start date: mid-August 2021
Purpose: Concern has a large, growing and dynamic portfolio of programming in Somalia/Somaliland, covering Community Resilience, Durable Solutions to protracted displacement, Emergency Response and institutional Systems Strengthening, in the sectors of Livelihoods (rural and urban), Health & Nutrition, WASH, Education, Social/Cash Transfers. With an annual budget of over €20m, our key donors include FCDO, EU, ECHO, Irish Aid, Global Partnership for Education, Education Cannot Wait, German Foreign Office, World Bank, UN, plus Trusts & Foundations grants.
As a member of the Concern Somalia Senior Management Team, the PD contributes to management of the country programme with specific responsibilities covering:
· Development of programmes in line with the Country Strategic Plan;
· Overseeing integration of sector programming and fostering synergies between emergency and development work in all operational locations of Somalia/Somaliland;
· Working with the CFC to ensure accurate budgeting and financial management of all programmes;
· Ensuring quality, accountability and learning from programme implementation and reporting, in compliance with donor requirements;
· Fundraising to maintain and expand the donor funding portfolio;
· Assisting the CD in building the programme profile and relations with donors and key stakeholders in Somalia/Somaliland and at Nairobi level;
· Line management of senior programme staff;
· Working with the Deputy PD, Programme Coordinators and HR to strengthen capacity of staff and create professional development opportunities;
· Representation of Concern in key external meetings, including consortia steering committees;
· Engaging with relevant authorities in Somalia and Somaliland, as necessary.
· Through active participation in the Senior Management Team (SMT), assist the Country Director in overall management, implementation, development and strategic direction of the Somalia country programme, in line with the Country Strategic Plan.
· Be responsible for fostering effective integration between programmes, strategic programme development and quality, accountable implementation and reporting.
· Take leadership alongside SMT colleagues to develop, implement and report against the country Accountability Plan, in line with the Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability.
· Engage with the Partnership Advisor to support development and implementation of a Partnership Strategy for the country programme; ensure effective collaboration with local implementing partners to meet programme objectives and support roll out capacity building in line with identified needs.
Programme Management and Funding
· Ensure programmes are designed and implemented in line with Concern Worldwide policies, using a Results-Based Management approach.
· Actively guide and support programme staff in identification of new programme interventions and opportunities in accordance with the CSP and How Concern Understands Extreme Poverty.
· Proactively identify and develop relationships with existing and potential donors, and lead fundraising efforts to maintain and further expand the funding portfolio.
· Working with CFC, oversee programme teams’ development of accurate donor budgets and effective financial management of expenditure in compliance with approved donor budgets and procedures.
· Ensure budget revisions are prepared and submitted on time by PCs.
· Support efficient collaboration between programmes and logistics team for timely procurements in line with programme and donor requirements.
· With the Deputy PD, assist Grants & Information Manager and Programme Coordinators to ensure reports are submitted timely, to high standard, in compliance with donor and internal requirements.
Programme Quality, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Ensure that all relevant programmes are designed, managed and implemented in conformity with Concern’s policies and strategies, especially the Programme Quality Guide
· Support the Deputy Programme Director – Programme Quality to:
o Oversee the MEAL Unit to ensure an effective, responsive monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEAL) framework for Concern’s programmes; coordinate timely M&E of all programmes (including partner implemented) in line with programme logframes, work plans, budgets. Ensure timely, effective analysis and use of data for reporting, learning, adaptive programming and results-based management.
o Facilitate annual programme reviews and other internal learning events.
o Ensure that cross-cutting issues (primarily equality, protection, conflict sensitivity) are given due consideration in programmes and that staff receive regular orientation and training on the same.
o Liaise with Head Office Strategy, Advocacy and Learning (SAL) unit, and engage consultants as necessary, to ensure the necessary technical expertise is available to support the programme.
· Foster links and continually strengthen integration between emergency response and longer-term development (resilience, durable solutions, social transfers, systems strengthening) programming.
· Actively help ensure that country team members are kept up to date on best practices in the fields of development and humanitarian work, including on emerging trends and good practice.
· Ensure sufficient human resources for programmes to meet their objectives.
· Line manage staff and ensure their professional development, including implementation of Performance Development Reviews.
· Ensure all staff comply with Concern’s Code of Conduct (CoC) and Associated Policies.
· Facilitate technical and management capacity development for staff, including training and coaching where needed, especially for direct reports.
· With CD and SD, ensure programme staff awareness and adherence to the Security Management Plan.
Representation and Networking
· In absence of the CD, act as focal point for the country programme.
· In conjunction with the CD, network and strengthen relations with donors, UN Agencies, the Somali NGO Consortium, Government representatives, and other leading NGOs and actors.
· Represent Concern at relevant coordination meetings, including the various Consortia Programme Steering Committees and in other relevant fora.
· In collaboration with the CD, liaise with Concern’s HQ offices (Dublin, London and New York) on appropriate advocacy issues and approaches for Concern Somalia/Somaliland; ensuring a timely sharing of information and inputs to collective efforts.
Required Skills and Experience
· Masters level qualification in International Development Studies, Programme Management or other relevant course of studies.
· At least 10 years’ experience in international development and/or humanitarian programming, including significant programme management experience in complex contexts.
· Experience working with major institutional donors and securing external donor funding.
· Experience of financial management and HR, logistics, administration systems and processes.
· Proven ability to represent an organisation at senior levels with government, Clusters, Consortia, etc. and to engage in influence and advocacy.
· Proven experience managing staff, strengthening capacity and building effective teams.
· Experience of emergency preparedness and response, resilience, durable solutions and/or systems strengthening programming, at a senior level.
· Experience working with and through local partner organisations, including strengthening capacity.
· Solid experience working in complex multi-stakeholder or consortium partnerships and structures.
· Ability to ensure accountability to all stakeholders, particularly the communities and people we serve.
· Knowledge and experience of Results Based Management.
· Excellent report and proposal development skills in the English language.
· Knowledge of latest theories and best practice in the field of development and humanitarian work, demonstrable understanding of how they relate to the Somalia/Somaliland context.
· Commitment to nurturing institutional cultures that use learning to improve their practice.
· Experience of managing multi-sectoral programmes in insecure environments.
· Experience overseeing and supporting adaptive programming.
· MEAL knowledge and experience, especially using emerging findings from data analysis to enhance programme implementation and impact.
· Working understanding of practical implementation of the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS).
Desirable Skills, Aptitude & Personality Traits:
· Strong inter-personal skills and proven ability to establish effective working relationships with key actors at all levels.
· Flexibility and adaptability.
· Ability to work with and engage with people from different socio-cultural backgrounds.
· Ability to work on own initiative.
· Capacity to manage pressure and work to conflicting deadlines.
· Ability to build relationships of mutual trust in diverse socio-cultural and professional settings.
· Experience in Somalia/ Somaliland or comparable contexts a distinct advantage.
· Willingness to travel regularly to Somalia/Somaliland and stay in basic conditions, in insecure areas.
· A good sense of humour and positive attitude.
How to apply
All applications to be submitted through the Concern website at https://jobs.concern.net/jobs/international/vacancy/1320/Relief%20Web/detail cv’s should not exceed 4 pages. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be confirmed before the closing date, if a strong candidate is identified.