We help to reduce vulnerabilities and strengthen resilience by responding to disasters and crises and by supporting community and institutional risk reduction and preparedness. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally with the aid of specialists or by sending relief supplies or money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Assistance Department of the Netherlands Red Cross is looking for a Programme Management Delegate for the “ Green Pearl” Programme based in Jacmel, South-East department, Haiti with frequent travels to Grand’Anse department, Port au Prince and the other project sites.
Position title: Programme Management Delegate, Green Pearl Programme
Duty station: Jacmel, South-East department, Haiti
Time period: 12 months, 40 hrs/week with possibility of extension
Starting Date: September the 15th, 2021
Status: Single posting/R&R
The Netherlands Red Cross and the Haitian Red Cross in Haiti.
The Netherlands Red Cross has a long history in providing humanitarian aid in Haiti and dates back to the late 1990s with an increased presence in the country since the earthquake in January 2010.**
In 2015, the Netherlands Red Cross and the Haitian Red Cross started the implementation of the Resilience Framework through a series of disaster risk reduction interventions in the Sud-Est Department of Haiti.
In October 2016, the Netherlands Red Cross opened a sub-delegation in the Sud Department in Les Cayes few days after Hurricane Matthew to implement activities related to food security, health and nutrition, water and sanitation, early recovery, shelter and non-food items distribution. Current activities are a continuation of our previous interventions, with an emphasis on the sustainability of our actions.
Over more than two decades, the National Societies have collaborated in addressing acute needs of vulnerable people of Haiti through implementation of a wide-range programmes in the areas of primary health care, water and sanitation, food security and livelihoods support, climate change and community resilience, and local capacity building. The organizations, guided by the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement Fundamental Principles and in line with their strategies and mandates, work hand-in-hand to alleviate sufferings and strengthen capacities of the most vulnerable groups of the population in Haiti.
The Haitian Red Cross was founded May 29, 1932 and currently has 50 staff with 5,000 volunteers throughout the country. The HRC is recognized as an auxiliary body, well linked, for coordinating and collaborating purposes, to the government. HRCS and NLRC are currently implementing a number of programmes in the Southern Department.
About the Green Pearl Programme
The Green Pearl Programme started in 2019 in La Vallée de Jacmel, in the South-East department with a first project. The Programme is built around a 3 pillar framework: Healthy Landscapes, Resilient Communities and Economically Empowered People. It envisions a holistic approach to development by targeting several sectors of the Sustainable Development Goals : landscape restoration, environment, Disaster Risk Reduction, WASH or economic development. By September 2021 a new project will start in Grand’Anse department aiming at increasing resilience of coastal communities by restoring ecosystem services and enhancing local management of marine natural resources.
With the Green Pearl Programme, the NLRC is looking to pave the path for:
- Showcasing that landscape restoration is an effective strategy for healthy landscape and community development;
- Development and showcasing of a replicable, sustainable solution in Haiti for rural development and ecosystem restoration.
- Upscaling and replication of landscape restoration in Haiti the stimulation of its adoption within the Red Cross movement, enabling wider application in other degraded areas worldwide;
Place in the organisation
The Programme Management Delegate (PgM) of the Green Pearl Programme is a member of the Netherlands Red Cross Haiti delegation. The PgM Delegate reports to the Country Representative based in Port au Prince.
The PgM has operational links with the different departments of the Headquarters (HQ) in the Hague.
The PgM will manage a team of around 10 staff and different partners in the project geographical areas (Grand’Anse and South-East Departments).
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is to ensure adequate operational capacity to provide quality project management of the Green Pearl Programme in Haiti, in close coordination with his/her team and colleagues. The Programme Manager will be instrumental in the implementation of the Green Pearl Programme, enhancement of relationships with partners & donors, design of new projects.
· Be the programme manager responsible for the success of the Green Pearl Programme;
· Ensure implementation of project activities to meet international standards taking into account sustainability and community ownership;
· Participate in proposal development in close collaboration with colleagues in the field and HQ
· Be the focal point for the Green Pearl Programme with colleagues from NLRC HQ and partners.
· Ensure synergies among the different sectors of the project to ensure cross-sectoral complementarity towards holistic resilience building;
· Manage budget and finance of the project and reporting to the Port au Prince Office and to the Hague following standard procedures and audit requirement;
· Manage the effective and proper use of assets, financial resources and facilities according to standard procedures in order to comply with auditing requirements;
· Manage and update indicators and all projects information in internal data system on monthly basis
· Ensure Identification, documentation and sharing of success stories/evidences, data collection and lessons learnt for programmes improvement and scaling up and internal capitalization**
· Present and participate in external events related to the Green Pearl Programme.**
· Work closely with the Haitian Red Cross (HRC) and colleagues together with other Red Cross Movement partners; **
· Support additional tasks that may arise and/or assigned by the Country Representative of the NLRC especially in the event of a disaster.
· Masters’ Degree in disaster risk management, environment, agriculture or other fields with relevant experience;
· At least 5 years international experience in project management of Disaster Risk Reduction, climate change adaptation, food security/ livelihood or Environmental and Agricultural programmes;
· Demonstrable commitment to community resilience strengthening with experience of programming in developing countries;
· Strong knowledge in landscape restoration, fair food systems, sustainable farming and value chain development, and permaculture;
· Previous experience with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is an asset;
· Previous experience of living or working in the region (Caribbean / Haiti) is an asset;
· Strong knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, PMEAL, and cost control procedures;
· Demonstrated orientation on results, process, and people;
· Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and coaching skills;
· Cultural Awareness and previous experience in a multi-cultural environment is appreciated;
· Fluency in written and spoken English and French is mandatory.
· A full time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance;
· A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations;
· Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
How to apply
Please send your CV and letter of motivation in English with reference to Rob Vugs latest on the 5th of September 2021 by using the online application tool: https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacature/Solliciteren/199113/job
For further information regarding the position please, contact M. Yvan Trapet, Country Representative in Haiti of the NLRC via email at email@example.com
An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, The Netherlands Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications.**
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross, please visit www.rodekruis.nl and www.rodekruis.tv. NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis.