Position Title: Programme Manager (Engineering)
Duty Station: Aden, Yemen
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Field Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the Engineering Support Unit of IOM Yemen Country Office (CO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise and monitor the Engineering Support Unit and ensure support to the Programme Managers, the Resources Management Unit and Senior management in all aspects of construction undertaken at the Yemen Country office (CO). This includes the phases of planning, design, tendering contract awarding, supervision of unit’s staff, quality control, contract closing and handover.
- Ensure the oversight of the technical components of all programmes that require engineering capacity, including the development and/or review of concept notes, proposals and budgets, ensuring that mechanisms and modalities to be implemented are appropriate and in line with global standards and best practices.
- Coordinate the operational, administrative and financial aspects of all ongoing construction projects, including the supervision of the construction projects’ implementation, in coordination with the Resources Management and Programme Units. Ensure that all construction projects meet their intended scope, timeframe, quality and budget. Notify in a timely manner of any required changes and inform of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
- Manage and oversee the monitoring activities to assess the implementation of all construction projects, remotely and through regular visits to the areas of operation, ensuring that the engineers are providing proper monitoring and follow up services for construction projects.
- Contribute and provide substantive support for the development and dissemination of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines for all engineering and construction works to ensure compliance with local laws, and that the standard design and construction practices are adhered across the CO.
- Manage the contracts with service providers. Ensure the adequate contracts management, change request, close out procedures and final payments to the contractors in close coordination with administrative units of CO.
- Supervise and monitor the work of all engineers and construction support staff of CO. Coach and mentor the staff under direct supervision.
- In coordination with the relevant colleagues of CO, ensure that all relevant permits and authorizations are obtained from the local authorities to guarantee project implementation and maintain effective working relations with the local government.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Communicating with Communities (CwC) and other protection related aspects in every phase of implementation of the Engineering Support Unit’s activities in close coordination with the relevant colleagues.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Project Management or Construction Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• International experience in project management of large-scale international engineering and construction projects, and post crisis humanitarian reconstruction and stabilization projects;
• Experience in public infrastructure projects such as schools, health centers, office buildings, road construction, irrigation projects, dams, etc.; and,
• Experience in overseeing the large scale international construction projects in complex humanitarian contexts.
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of Engineering related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
• Certification in Project Management (Project Management Professional (PMP) or PRINCE2) is an advantage; and,
• Knowledge of civil engineering design and project management software, tools and skills is required. Proficiency in AutoCAD is mandatory.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 06.05.2021 to 19.05.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 101 Programme Manager (Engineering) (P3) Aden, Yemen (56987175) Released
Posting: Posting NC56987176 (56987176) Released