Position Title : Programme Support Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Ethiopia and direct supervision of the
Senior Programme Support Coordinator; and, in coordination with Programme Managers, and Heads of Sub Offices. The Programme Support Officer will be responsible for providing support on project development, project implementation and reporting along with protection and gender mainstreaming components, for all programs and activities of IOM in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of new programs and projects in coordination with the relevant donors, government counterparts, public and private institutions, and project partners, ensuring compliance with donor interests and requirements.
- Conduct desk research and take other actions to prepare background information to support the development of new project proposals.
- Provide support and assistance for the timely start-up of the various phases or components of the programme. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperate with national and international authorities, provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff, and ensure that donor reporting information and schedules are available.
- Monitor specific aspects of project implementation, identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of inputs. Analyze progress and implementation reports and identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems or deviations.
- Draft sections of project documents based on results of assessments that have been carried out during various phases. Draft project revisions based on negotiations with donors, changed work plans or budget reallocation.
- Contribute to the development of new projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of individual projects, and drafting of project proposals.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
- Assist in developing and maintaining strong and regular liaison with the project/programme partners, such as governmental authorities, diplomatic missions, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, aiming at coordinating and promoting new activities and facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and fund raising for new projects/programmes.
- Assist the Programme/Project Manager in monitoring, assessing and evaluation of project/programme activities, and in planning new features that add value to the project/programme’s overall goals.
- Work with experts, consultants and other project participants to ensure that logistical arrangements and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting are well understood and implemented.
- Provide support in preparing regular project/programme reports and communications/visibility materials according to IOM and donor formats as required and update regularly and report to donors covering all IOM activities. Draft project revisions, including adjusting project budgets based on changed work plans.
- Support the inclusion of SMART indicators in project development, and support project managers in monitoring project implementation and results against those indicators.
- Review and consolidate information on program implementation and activities and produce reports and mission, regional and Headquarters periodic and activity-specific reports, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project administration;
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions.
• Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
• Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures;
• Familiarity with financial and business administration;
• Knowledge of the Region is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 21.04.2021 to 04.05.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 89 Programme Support Officer (P2) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56946574) Released
Posting: Posting NC56946575 (56946575) Released