INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager (Protection, WASH, Nutrition and Livelihoods)
Duty station: 100% Taiz, with weekly visits to Aden hub
Starting date: 2/08/2021
Contract duration: 10 months
Reporting to: Program coordinator/deputy Head of Mission South
Supervision of: PM assistant, Activity Coordinator for CC and per sector, M&E/reporting officer WASH coordinator, Protection officer, Livelihoods officer > while sector supervision will technically be supported by sector coordinators in charge on following the particular project
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General context of the project
The proposed project aims at an integrated multi-sector response (nutrition, protection, livelihoods (ERMS) and WASH sectors) within Taiz governorate, further building on the achievement of the previous BHA funded actions, enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, covering Al-Shamaytain and Ma’afer districts in South Taiz, further newly adding, Al-Qahira and Al-Mudhaffar districts in Taiz city (all 4 districts are under IRG control).
The project will:
- Support conflict-affected people (including 50% protection cases) to improve and enhance self-reliance and re-integration; supporting people to develop productive assets and livelihoods.
- Reduce the prevalence of and prevent acute malnutrition among, children under five and pregnant and lactating women (PLW) and other vulnerable population groups, while expanding coverage of nutrition services and remove the barriers that prevent families from accessing them.
- Promote the protection of conflict-affected people, providing for individual case management services and collective PSS for adult and children; by working on the prevention and response side through different service modalities (community centers, outreach, community-based structures).
- Provide WASH services, including: a) hygiene promotion, b) solid waste collection, c) improved sanitation facilities and services, d) access to potable water and water for daily use e) access to water quality testing including chlorination, and provision of rapid response and contain the cholera and COVID-19 outbreak in affected communities and prevent the disease spread in most vulnerable communities.
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager (PM) is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the activities of the project ensuring timely and qualitative planning, implementation, reporting and monitoring/evaluation of INTERSOS activities in compliance with sector specific SOPs, Sphere standards and good practices, code of conduct and ethical values chart.
The PM is responsible for an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations, in addition to full oversight of the HR and logistics arrangement in cooperation with relevant departments.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description and smooth and effective closure of the project.
- Guarantee an efficient financial management and closure of the project and all the funds liquidated as per the financial plan for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
- Team management and project integration assurance for teams and sectors; in close cooperation and coordination with sector coordinators/officers.
- Deliver quality project activities reporting, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project.
- Deliver timely quality monthly, interim and final project reports.
Ensure the full and timely implementation of the project pro-actively respecting deadlines for reporting:
- Follow up and monitor field team detailed activities
- Maintain clear reporting and communication lines
- Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries as per the project document
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
- Ensure security assessment for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a pro-active manner to the deputy Head of Mission and Head of Mission and Operational Risk Assessment officer (ORAO) South
Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly liquidity plans
- Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (Journal): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff
- Maintain participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion.
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
- Follow up on the system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with other INTERSOS programmes/project staff.
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with HR department to secure up to date HR files
- Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries.
- Applying a result-based management approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including impact at the household and community level achieved through the project.
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
- Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS PAT reporting tool
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: Prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming. Reporting must at all times be gender and age disaggregated.
- Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
- Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
Coordination and representation:
- Attend the relevant cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to the program coordinator/deputy HOM and sector coordinators/officers.
- Ensure regular updates to donor representatives.
- Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Yemen. Proactively participate in cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for Yemen, also relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings at national level.
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the program coordinator and other relevant programme staff.
- Coordinate with other INTERSOS projects/sectors in Taiz for effective and efficient referral of cases between INTERSOS projects/sectors.
Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
- Master degree in international cooperation or related fields
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working as humanitarian project manager, including financial management responsibilities.
- Experience in the implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programming in complex emergencies (protection, WASH and/or nutrition services)
- Prior experience in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement
- Experience in Middle East will be considered an added value
- Prior experience working with BHA as donor will be an added value
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting
- Excellent computer skills (in particular, Excel knowledge is a must)
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Native Arabic would be asset
· Excellent analytical skills
· Practical and problem-solver
· Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
· Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
· Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
· Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
· Strong representation and negotiation skills
· Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
· Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen
· Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS**
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-XXXX – Position”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.