Position Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Studies continue to show that the decision to migrate irregularly is made with limited or biased information. There are several factors contributing to this, including a lack of accurate information available for some audiences, low awareness of how to access accurate information and lack of behavioural intent to seek out accurate information to inform migration-related decisions.
IOM X West Africa uses a Communication for Development (C4D) approach, wherein evidence-informed, participatory processes are applied to develop communication tools and activities used to support social and behaviour change in a sustained way. Through IOM X West Africa, audience-specific solutions seek to increase availability of accurate information sources and increase awareness of, and behavioural intent to use, these sources to inform
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Coordinator for West and Central Africa and the direct supervision of the Head Media, Communication and Awareness Raising Officer, the incumbent will coordinate the implementation of IOM X West Africa Campaign Phase 3.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the implementation of the IOM X West Africa project in the three target countries (The Gambia, Ghana and Nigeria) in accordance with the project proposal and other relevant project documents.
- Provide technical guidance to project personnel as required.
- Research potential new partnerships, from both the public and private sectors, consistent with expressed IOM X Campaign behaviour change objectives.
- Draft communication sets on project activities and progress for dissemination to relevant partners, stakeholders and donors.
- Participate in meetings organized in the framework of the programme, including donor briefings, project events and stakeholder meetings.
- Implement specific messaging of the IOM X Campaign including broadcast, on-the-ground, and online in accordance with IOM guidelines and practices and coordinated within the Regional Office and IOM country offices.
- Contribute to the development of training workshop materials and reports including detailed evaluation-templates to evaluate trainees’ performances, individual learning processes and gather feedback from participants regarding each training module. The assessment will include recommendations for further learning activities and keep track of project implementation through monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide guidance regarding the collection, processing, analysis, documentation and dissemination of project data.
- Facilitate the integration and consideration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children, people with disabilities, and other vulnerable groups in the project during programme implementation.
- Undertake duty travel relating to IOM X West Africa project activities as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Affairs, Public Relations, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience coordinating public awareness campaigns;
• Good knowledge of dynamics of irregular migration, human trafficking and other issues related to migration and exploitation in West and Central Africa;
• Excellent grasp of the evolving media environment, including new media in West and Central Africa, as well as the political, cultural and economic impact of the changing landscape on non-profit campaigns; and,
• Experience working in an international environment is essential.
• Excellent writing skills with the ability to analyze complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
• Effective resource management skills;
• Sound general analytical skills;
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications is required;
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 14.04.2021 to 27.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 84 Project Officer (P2) Dakar, Senegal (56941237) Released
Posting: Posting NC56941238 (56941238) Released