Position Title: Project Officer (IBM)
Duty Station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 07 July 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM has been operating in Côte d’Ivoire since 2001 to support Ivorian authorities’ efforts to manage migration effectively.
Since 2017 IOM Côte d’Ivoire has extensively worked in partnership with the Territorial Surveillance Directorate (Direction de la Surveillance du Territoire, DST) from the Ministry of Interior and Security to enhance border management capacities of relevant authorities at the local, regional and national levels as well as to promote social cohesion and engagement of border communities. While the focus still remains on enhancing national capacities in terms of border management, it is also important to expand more towards the regional perspective and the strengthening of cross border coordination becomes ever more pertinent with the evolving dynamics in the region and notably in the Gulf of Guinea countries.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Côte d’Ivoire, the direct supervision of the Project Manager and in coordination with the Capacity Building in Migration Management (CBMM) Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the coordination, implementation and monitoring of IBM activities in Côte d’Ivoire under regional initiatives, and notably under the German-funded regional IBM project, “Strengthening border security and border community resilience in the Gulf of Guinea”.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the overall implementation of IOM’s IBM portfolio in Côte d’Ivoire, notably in the framework of regional projects, to facilitate its effectiveness, coherence and integrity and the timely achievement of project activities and results;
- Monitor and follow up on the operational and administrative components/aspects of the project in close coordination with mission relevant units;
- Analyse and suggest revisions to the programme strategy whenever required, in close coordination with the Project Manager and Senior Management;
- Undertake duty travel for project implementation and monitoring, as well as counterparts liaising purposes, as required;
- Draft sections of project reports in a timely manner according to IOM regulations and donor requirements, in close coordination with the project management as well as relevant colleagues at the Regional Office;
- Organize meetings and capacity-building activities for partner government agencies, local partners and other stakeholders associated with the IBM Programme;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of contextualized capacity building activities in migration and border management, targeting relevant project stakeholders, institutions, communities, as well as project staff;
- In close coordination with donor counterparts and IOM’s Media Division, participate in adequate information management of project-related activities including awareness-raising and visibility, the drafting of regular updates, summaries, and press releases, and the production of other relevant materials.
- Examine trends, conduct desk research, and support the development of new programme/project possibilities by providing inputs and information, and draft identified sections of proposals in close coordination with the project development unit, tracking and following up on submission to donors.
- Contribute to mission M&E of project delivery. Recommend improvements in project implementation and coordination.
- Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees as well as other forums to facilitate project implementation and coordination, and to exchange IBM information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in migration-related areas of work, including operational and field experience;
• Experience working in a multi-stakeholder environments and experience in liaising with governmental authorities;
• Experience in project development, management, monitoring and evaluation in the international development/ humanitarian sector required;
• Experience in conducting monitoring and evaluation (M&E), with good understanding of M&E tools and approaches;
• Experience in the West African Region and/or in the African continent an advantage;
• Experience working in IBM programme an advantage.
• Knowledge of the thematic areas relevant to the project, specifically border management;
• Excellent writing, reporting and analytical skills;
• Good communication skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships with government authorities, national and international organizations, as well as project partners.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 July 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.07.2021 to 07.07.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 128 Project Officer (IBM) (P2) Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (57024701) Released
Posting: Posting NC57024702 (57024702) Released