ackground Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism to implement the project activities for the “Towards a Comprehensive Implementation of United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Central Asia”.
In 2010, the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force Office of the United Nations and the United Nations Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy for Central Asia, with financial support from the European Union and the Government of the Kingdom of Norway, initiated a project to assist the Central Asian countries in devising a regional plan of action to implement the four pillars of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy. This initiative spanned two phases from 2010 to 2017, and culminated in a High Level Dialogue on the Implementation of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Central Asia, held in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, on 13 June, 2017 chaired by the UN Secretary-General António Guterres. The meeting led to the adoption of a second Ashgabat Declaration where countries committed to enhanced regional cooperation in counter-terrorism and prevention of violent extremism.
Current Phase III seeks to assist Central Asian countries to adequately respond to emerging challenges of fighting terrorism and preventing violent extremism in the region, as well as to provide continued and coordinated UN System support to the regional countries in implementing the JPoA, within the following parameters and based on the request of the Central Asian States. Phase IV is expected to be launched in July 2021, taking in consideration lessons learned, new challenges and trends in the region.
The project “Towards a Comprehensive Implementation of United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Central Asia” falls under the overall strategy of the UNOCT based in New York. UNOPS is the implementing partner of UNOCT for this project. Its goal is (i) to assist in the development of a national and regional counter-terrorism and preventing violent extremism strategy, and (ii) to strengthen Central Asian countries’ capacity to implement the said strategy on counter-terrorism and violent extremism under the broad framework of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy and Joint Plan of Action, through tailored capacity-building assistance.
The incumbent of this position will be personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Project manager the Project Management Support – Senior Officer will be engaged in the overall coordination and implementation of the project “Towards a Comprehensive Implementation of United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Central Asia” and capacity development components of the projects. The incumbent of post will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Contribute to the planning of the projects as well as the smooth implementation of the projects by actively engaging in supporting project services including recruitment, procurement, organization of conferences, travels and financial management
- Assist in the preparation of proposals, engagement processes and agreements ensuring administrative and financial aspects are in line with corporate policies and guidelines
- Support preparation of budgets ensuring they follow corporate policies and established in the ERP with sound budgetary structures that contribute to financial monitoring and reporting
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly cash flow forecast ensuring the projections are in line with approved budgets, contractual commitments and that cost estimates are reasonable
- Support the monitoring of project expenditures against approved resources and ensure timely adjustments and corrections of over-expenditures and wrongly booked charges
- Support the development of risk assessment and mitigation measures with input from the project team, and contribute risks management procedures are followed
- Prepare submissions for compliance, oversight and other risks mechanisms reports and data;
- Actively engage in the project monitoring and evaluation, using established performance monitoring tools, cross cutting themes(capacity building, environment, gender equality), preparing draft report on the results, and assist to develop follow up actions if applicable
- Assist in the preparation of reports and collation of information for quarterly business review processes, year-end closure and projects closure in collaboration with project managers
- Assist the project managers in the review of the status of workplans, activity plans, implementation and aggregate reports regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes
- Support the procurement activities of the portfolio, from preparation of procurement plans, terms of references, bidding process, request for awards to signature of contracts and orders
- Implementation of the different steps of the procurement processes, including Pre-Purchasing: Strategy and Planning; Requirements Definition; Sourcing; Purchasing: Solicitation; Management of Submissions; Evaluation; Review and Award; Post Purchasing: Contract finalization and issuance; Logistics; and Contract Management.
- Implementation of strategic procurement for projects assigned in the Business Unit.
- Research undertaken and data provided for Business Unit’s supply market intelligence and analysis.
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulation.
- Participate in the preparation and review of implementation contracts providing comments on administrative, financial and audit aspects in line with corporate policies and guidelines Support in the human resources activities of the portfolio, such as preparation of terms of references, taking interviews minutes, preparation of personnel and recruitment plans;
- Support in the facilitation of information sharing and transfer of knowledge, document lessons learned and beneficiary surveys
- Maintain archive of project documentation and ensure access to institutional memory and technical information on related components of the project
- Support in drafting final report detailing outputs and impact of the projects
- Support the Project Manager and the Programme team in any other matter as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Regular briefings on the projects’ activities
- Accurate and timely reporting of the project progress and highlights
- Submission of final report
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY* **CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY**
- Master degree or equivalent in areas related to the position.
- A Bachelor degree with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master requirement. Work Experience:**
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in project support and reporting is required
Desired Experience: The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply
- Professional experience in an international organization and/or in post-conflict environments/developing countries is desirable
- Experience in proposal writing, projects monitoring and evaluation, and donor liaising is desirable.
- Certification in project management is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Russian is required.
- Fluency in Local Language in Turkmenistan such as Turkmen or Uzbek is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: International Individual Contractor Agreement (I-ICA 2)
Contract duration: Open-ended (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-of…
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.