Position: Protection & Gender Coordinator
Location: Tunis with potential movements in Libya & Tunisia
Type of contract: 5 months renewable
Starting date: Mid of July with 2 weeks handover
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC in Tunisia
WeWorld-GVC has been operating in Tunisia since 2012 through the implementation of the following intervention sectors:
- Socio-economic and rural development
- Human rights
- Good local governance and community driven development
- Prevention of violent extremism (PVE)
- Mainstreaming sectors: Strengthening civil society & Gender equity
In Tunisia, WeWorld-GVC has a main office in Tunis and a field office in Sidi Bouzid.
The main donors are the Italian Interior Ministry, the Italian Cooperation AICS, Italian provinces.
Provisional annual budget 2021: 700,000 EUR.
Tunisia Local team: 5
Tunisia Expat team: 2 dedicated to Tunisia & 4 expatriates working for both Tunisia & Libya missions
WeWorld-GVC in Libya
WeWorld-GVC has been operating in Libya since 2018 through the implementation of the following intervention sectors:
- Humanitarian Aid for host, displaced, migrant and refugee populations through projects promoting access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), primary health, etc.
- Capacity building of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs)
- Promoting respect for Human Rights, in connection with the field of humanitarian protection
In Libya, WW-GVC has its main office in Tripoli and a field office in Sebha (Fezzan region).
Provisional annual budget 2021: 3,200 M EUR.
The main donors are EU Trust fund for Africa, AICS, CERF.
Libya National team: 14 staff
Libya team in Tunis office: 8 staff
WeWorld-GVC is recruiting a Protection & Gender Coordinator who works under the direct responsibility of the Country Representative and the technical supervision of the Global Protection Expert. She/he works in coordination with: Libya & Tunisia Program Coordinators, the Tunisian and Libyan field coordinators, the Protection team and the implementing partners.
The Protection & Gender Coordinator provides technical oversight of protection and gender activities mainly in Libya and in Tunisia (minor component), with specific responsibility for overseeing the WeWorld-GVC Individual Protection Approach as part of the Community Protection Approach (CPA, https://cpainitiative.org); Gender based violence (GBV) in addition to protection integrated programing. The Protection & Gender Coordinator will ensure that activities under his/her oversight are implemented in compliance with minimum standards and WeWorld-GVC ‘s SOPs
The Protection & Gender Coordinator works closely with the Global Protection Expert and the Integrated Protection Development and Analysis Area (IPDAA) based in Tunisia, coordinating as well closely with the Programs Coordinators to ensure protection activities are implemented in line with the overall objectives of the projects / programs.
He/she will have an active participation in coordination with Protection cluster/sector and associated working groups such as Gender based violence (GBV), as well as with other partners (INGOs and NGOs).
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Promote development of Protection & Gender strategies that contribute to WeWorld-GVC program strategy in Libya & Tunisia
- Support in developing a program advocacy strategy by providing evidence based data related to protection / gender
- Ensure that a daily support as well as punctual trainings are organized and provided in order to develop and strengthen the programmatic technical skills of the team
- Promote the respect the WeWorld-GVC Code of Conduct, Prevention from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harrasment Policy (PSEAH) and Child Safeguarding Policy (CSP), ensuring the policy’s implementation and prompt notification of the CSP/PSEAH Focal Point with any information regarding potential breaches of the policy
- Support, under the coordination of the Global Protection Specialist, the development of a Policy on Gender and Diversity and its principles
- Assure, under the coordination of the Global Protection Specialist, the right implementation of CPA and the Individual Protection Approach (IPA) of WeWorld-GVC.
- Technical supervision
- Provide technical support and assistance to projects teams and mainly in surveys designing, planning, implementation, assure that reporting is done with high quality based on technical feedback
- Manage, mainstream and assure consistency of the implementation of WeWorld-GVC CPA and IPA in all targeted communities
- Coordinate the contextualization and promote improvement of the system in place for identification, assessment and referral of PWSN, support the monitoring of cases and manage its data base
- Conduct systematic coaching for the staff to Integrate Protection and improve collection, management and systematization of related data
- Support the protection officers and Data Analysts in the monitoring of the protection related concerns targeted by WeWorld-GVC actions and of their timely reporting following WeWorld-GVC internal procedures
- Plan, elaborate and ensure proper analysis of data collected
- Assure AGD mainstreaming in all WeWorld-GVC project and proposals
- Develop activity and work plans for protection activities
- Support the Project Managers in preparing procurement plans for protection activities following the budget and work plan for the projects
- Provide capacity building to Mission staff and Implementing partners
- Develop and supervise the implementation of protection / gender tools for the Missions based on WeWorld-GVC Guidelines
- Contribute to the inclusion and the analysis of Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) is the different step of the project cycle
- Participate to the recruitment of Protection & Gender local staff
- Technically supervise Protection staff based in Libya
- Provide technical input to performance evaluations for protection field staff.
- External representation and Coordination
- Work closely with key external stakeholders in the areas of Intervention, including maintaining and creating strong referral pathways though the WeWorld-GVC CPA platform
- Ensure that WeWorld-GVC active presence in the Protection Sector and relevant sub-working groups such as GBV and Child protection
- Represent WeWorld-GVC with external stakeholders working in the Protection/gender fields
- Contribute to the internal and external reporting for Protection and/or Gender related issues
- Contribute to the technical development of gender / protection strategy of intervention and activities for new initiative (i.e. Proposals)
Work with the IPDAA and Global Protection Expert
- Support the development of Global Protection / Gender SoPs, tools etc.
- Contribute to protection / gender global analysis
- Provide potential technical support to other Mission based on the needs identified by the Global Protection Expert
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master or equivalent in the international cooperation and other relevant field
- Proven studies related to Protection and Gender
- Deep understanding of the Libyan (and Tunisia) context, migratory flows
- Fluency in English is mandatory
- At least 4/5 years of specific experience in the field of international cooperation, implementing Protection and gender projects
- Previous experience/ strong knowledge in referral mechanisms
- Experience in community engagement
- Representation experience with institutions and participation in coordination meetings
- Demonstrated experience working remotely
- Experience in data analysis
- Leadership, planning, organization and teamwork skills
- Proactive and dynamic attitude
- Ability to adapt and work under constraint, under pressure and in complex and multicultural contexts
- Interpersonal skills and intercultural approach
- Good listening and communication skills
- Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity with regards to NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Knowledge of Arabic, French and Italian would be considered an asset
- Previous working experiences in Libya and/or Tunisia